Getting Twin and Earth past the skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was at the vets today and the place is being rewired, and I see that they've pulled the twin and earth past the skirting boards without removing or cutting the skirting boards. You know, to get the cable from under the floor board to above the skirting board where it is then chased in the wall to the socket.

From what i can see, but I'm not certain, they've taken a long SDS drill bit and drilled at an angle from the wall above the skirting board towards the floor. It won't be directly down because the drill wont clear the wall to be at 90 degrees.

Is this the way it's done?

Sponsored Links
Thats one way to do it. You'd be surprised though, with a long (~400mm drill bit) and a nice wide chase in the plaster, you can get your drill pretty much flat to the wall.

You can also use an angled chasing bit, but chances are you will still need to drill the floorboards afterwards - unless of course you're just going to lift them anyway

If the skirts are staying, that's the method I prefer. You just gotta be careful not to rub the drill bit on the top of the skirt and make a nice semi circular burn in the top of it.

The BEST way, is to remove the skirting board altogether! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Awesome with teh skirt chisel! What about for cutting socket holes?

Awesome with teh skirt chisel! What about for cutting socket holes?

I also have the armeg box sinker. It is expensive but does quite a good job of making a nice tidy hole providing the wall isn't too hard. Not tried it on brick but block is fine.

Yep either a meter long drill bit, or a strategically bent piece of threaded rod can be hammered down behind the skirt. The same works on coving if you're careful.

Yep either a meter long drill bit, or a strategically bent piece of threaded rod can be hammered down behind the skirt. The same works on coving if you're careful.
Coving is a MUCH riskier business! I prefer to multitool a section out (assuming the client/site manager etc is ok with it) gotta be easier to patch two little joints than a massive great crack should things go wrong

Aside from the appearance, cracks in old cornice aren't really a problem as they are held together with fiber (horsehair?), in fact you will be hard-pushed to find a tenement flat in Glasgow with original cornice which ISN'T cracked/repaired somewhere. The main risk of ancient lath & plaster ceilings is when areas of lath become detached from the plaster, but this will manifest at first as cracks across the surface of the ceiling.

It's easy enough to repair straight cornices but nigh on impossible for non-straight/decorative ones (unless you're a talented sculptor I suppose) without making a mould and replacing a section. Filling a crack with caulk is easier again than repairing gaps in a straight cornice, imo.

I'm talking late 1800's builds here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back