Chasing behind skirting

S

SaladFingers

Does anyone have a cool tip for getting a chase behind a skirting board when sinking socket boxes? In the past I've taken the skirting off, but getting sick of doing that. I did try a long drill, but it's not very tidy and can touch the damp proof course with the angle. I am a spark, but my work is usually bare houses or commercial/industrial.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
1 metre long drill bit, only slight angle, usually does it, I`ve done millions, thousands, hundreds like that - similarly behind ceiling coving too and picture/dado rail .
Usually quite a success (Notice I said usually not always though)

Plastering doesn't run to the floor behind skirting.

Cut chase between socket box and skirt, get a slightly bent lump of 15mm copper tube and tap with a lump hammer, that creates a chase behind the skirt.

The more painful issue tends to be when there's no gap between floor board and void behind the skirt to take cabling in to the sub floor.

I tend to cut a 32mm hole in the skirt near the base, angled towards the floor, then use a 25mm spade drill through the hole and then through the floor board.

If done properly it does. Skirting should always be fitted to a plastered wall, otherwise you'll have skirting recessed into plaster.

1 metre long drill bit, only slight angle, usually does it, I`ve done millions, thousands, hundreds like that - similarly behind ceiling coving too and picture/dado rail .
Usually quite a success (Notice I said usually not always though)

Cheers, I'll get a longer bit and I'll give that a go then.

If done properly it does. Skirting should always be fitted to a plastered wall, otherwise you'll have skirting recessed into plaster.

What?

Round here most plastering stop about 50 mm below top of skirt, skirt is nailed to batons which are nailed to the stud work. To qualify 95% of my work is on pre ww2 housing stock. So that means the base 100mm+ of a high skirt is a void.

What?

Round here most plastering stop about 50 mm below top of skirt, skirt is nailed to batons which are nailed to the stud work. To qualify 95% of my work is on pre ww2 housing stock. So that means the base 100mm+ of a high skirt is a void.

Mine isn't studwork. Sounds like a strange and long winded way to fit skirting.

Make life easy for yourself and use a 20mm one metre SDS drill bit - much easier to pull a pair of cables up that hole!

The SDS with some encouragement will go through floorboards if these are running parallel with the wall and can't be lifted

As Chri5 said - there is often a nice gap behind most of the skirting anyway

If I can do it, ANYONE can

SB

Visualise.

Stud wall, plaster a lathe raises the wall thickness 20mm odd. So when they came to fit the skirt to the stud the stud needed padding out via a baton.

Maybe only 10 million or so houses were built like that, obviously not yours :rolleyes:

Maybe only 10 million or so houses were built like that, obviously not yours :rolleyes:

Stabalise your eyes mate.

Not every house was built with stud walls.

Obviously not mine as mine are all brick (proper walls). Some had cardboard walls added as a modification, others are modern houses.

I don't see how hard you find it to under stand that some houses have real walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back