CABLES BEHIND SKIRTING ANY TRICKS OR TIPS?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Putting flush S/O's in and having to chase the wall out, right down to the skirting, then behind the skirting probably through a trapped board to the wall below the floor. I then try to drill into the channel under the floor. This method works ok but it infrequently ends up damaging the skirting slightly. I drill everything first to make it easier.

Just wondered if any of you lot have any better way to do this or any tips or tricks I hadn't thought of.

Thanks in advance for any info.
:idea:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

forgot to mention they are stained wooden skirting boards (obviously on the ones you paint you just fill them so it is easy)

please note 10a

Sponsored Links
I've got a long (about 450mm) 8mm sds bit which is really flexible. you can poke it and wiggle it behind the skirting board to complete the channel. The most difficult part is getting the bits of plaster out afterwards.

Remember that you have routed it behind the skirting, especially when fitting that door stop. ;) And tell any future owners as most people will not be expecting it.

Sponsored Links
Read the original post again NSTREET, He is trying to get the cables from below the floorvoid upto the socket, not along the wall behind the skirting.
I have found the best way is to use a 20MM sds drill bit to tackle the masonry and then a flat woodbit with an extension bar to drill through the floorboard, or you can use a special shaped SDS chisel like this one made by armeg which is designed to do the hjo you are trying to do

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/pages/moreinfoa.asp?pe=BCEBHDAQ_+armeg+20mm+sds+plus+extended&cid=880

hope this helps

Nick

Cheers guys, when I posted this I thought you lot could come up with some ingenious ways, but I must admit I am deffinitly favouring the bent SDS bit mentioned by "sparkydudeuk". I had seen them before but never thought how usefull it's shape would make it for behind skirting. Then if I hit floorboards, which you quite often do, I will go for the wood bit. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back