Cabling behind skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to extend a radial circuit in a conservatory to provide power for an extra socket plus three wall lamps (conservatory has solid flooring).

The area on the wall behind the skirting is not a permitted cable route (for cable depths less than 50mm) although I see that you can buy domestic plastic skirting with channeling for cables such as that manufactured by Rehau or Marshall-Tufflex.

Since cables cannot be buried in walls behind skirting if concealed at a depth of less than 50mm, but seem to be acceptable if 'buried' inside plastic skirting boards, will it comply if I use a router to create similar channels in wooden skirting to route cables around the room perimeter?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Skirting trunking may be the answer, yet I see no real reason why you can't make a wooden boxing, of a slim profile and even made of skirting board.

As far as I know, a wooden boxing should be obvious that it contains pipes or cables, though I don't supposed it could ever be called trunking.

Sponsored Links
It's tricky.

But if you wouldn't agree that a cable chased into a wall but not buried, i.e. with the chase left unfilled, and then concealed by skirting was OK, then for exactly the same reasons you shouldn't agree that cables on the surface of the wall concealed by skirting are OK.

Mineral cable surface run?

Surface te run glued with a glue gun?

MT 1 16x16 mm trunking on skirt top?

I hate boxes on skirting, but should you put the sockets on the skirting then the route will be allow as a safe zone.

Quadrant trunking fixed to the floor butting the skirting?

It's tricky.

But if you wouldn't agree that a cable chased into a wall but not buried, i.e. with the chase left unfilled, and then concealed by skirting was OK, then for exactly the same reasons you shouldn't agree that cables on the surface of the wall concealed by skirting are OK.

I can't argue with that, my thinking was along the lines of "surely no-one would just nail straight into the skirting board", but thinking about it, that's a pretty unsafe assumption.

my thinking was along the lines of "surely no-one would just nail straight into the skirting board", but thinking about it, that's a pretty unsafe assumption.
They could though, if for example the skirts had come loose or were bowing from the wall. it could be possible that a nail or screw would be used to fit tight back to the wall. If a cable was run within that area, behind the skirts, there is a potential hazard.
If you use box trunking or skirting board trunking, at least the possibility is considered that something is contained within that area.

Within 150 mm. of the floor is not considered a 'safe zone'.

Cable concealed by skirting board is not visible or obvious.

The regulations are not statutory but 'we' have to follow them.

I'm not saying you should ignore them as it could be a danger.

Manufacturers of skirting trunking presumable know this.

Do the MI's advise not to use it without sockets in it, or above it using the T pieces?

Thanks. Not what I wanted to hear of course because it would have been the neatest and simplest 'route' to take.

I tried to obtain the plastic skirting from a local wholesaler but found it prohibitive, e.g., Marshall-Tufflex Sovereign range could only be bought in 8x 3m lengths (twice as much as needed), so with 4x internals & externals quote came to a whopping £320+VAT. Anyone know where this sort of thing can be found in smaller qtys?

Also, are there rules stipulated for burying cables in solid floors, e.g., routing location & depth? Didn't really want to cut into floors as will have to lift tiles and don't know if interfering with floor construction but this may be the 'least unfavorable' option. Can plastic trunking be used? The longer 2.5m runs are for the lamps 1mm cable but I want to keep room smart & tidy and I'm not keen on separate add-on trunking placed at the top or bottom of skirting boards for aesthetic reasons.

Thanks.

Can you not wire from above and chase vertically down to your accessories?

You could always create a sort of skirting board effect by taking a plain board and sticking quarter round trunking along the top, giving a decent curved edge and something that's definitely within regs. Should be muc cheaper than skirting trunking.

Can you not wire from above and chase vertically down to your accessories?

Thanks for the thought but unfortunately the conservatory is a raised clear roof construction so walls and concrete floor is the only option I think.

You could always create a sort of skirting board effect by taking a plain board and sticking quarter round trunking along the top, giving a decent curved edge and something that's definitely within regs. Should be muc cheaper than skirting trunking.

Thanks too timbim & others for suggestions unfortunately I have the skirting boards all cut & primed (as part of a refurbishment) which are already bull-nosed so I would still like to exhaust the idea of burying cables in the concrete floor.

As there seems to be no safe zone stipulated for solid flooring I think I would like to investigate burying in square pvc trunking but not as deep as 50mm+ (may well be a contentious point I know!). After thinking about it I'm ok if have to get new floor tiles put down since they are probably due an upgrade too.

So I must have a pretty standard-design conservatory so what is the norm for professional electricians? Chasing the floor around the room close to perimeter walls? Chasing direct point to point on shortest run, etc, over to other side of room to reduce bends perhaps? Or chopping out horizontals in walls (doesn't sound good for structure issues and will spoil decoration), or hiding in add-on trunking?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back