Running cable behind skirting for new electrical socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add a new socket spur in my sitting room. It's got the original skirting which I don't want to replace, but the previous electrician who rewired, managed to run the cable from the floor, behind the skirting and up the wall.

How do I make the space behind the skirting to run the cable vertically? special tool or type of drill?

Sponsored Links
Carefully lever the skirting away from the wall as much as possible, then with a combination of long drill bits and long chisels and general DIY skills channel out the wall behind.

But why a spur?

If this is an old house with black mortar and lime plaster then you can normally chip a square of the wall out above the skirting and you will discover a lovely little void behind :) there tends to be a gap beween the wall and skirting too and the wire can be poked through, although if it isnt, you can chip an upright rectangle into the wall above the skirting and drill down as straight as the wall will allow there should be hardly ever any reason th prize the skirting boards away from the wall, if you do you will find it very difficult to get back tidy without completely removing it as all the spoil falls behind and prevents it sitting where it was.

Sponsored Links
Removing skirting does sound scarey!

Call it a bidge, but I was considering cutting skirting at top, then drilling and patching up. It's Victorian block so no detail.

I can pictire the 16mm serrated copper method, but can't help thinking it's a hell of a lot of work. Anyone know what would a professional sparkie do?

i use a long thin drill bit. You can usually get down the back if you're careful.

I wedge my foot tight against the skirting to stop it coming away from the wall while you're drilling.

If you can lift a section of floorboard in line with where you are planning to run your cable up the wall you may be able to feel the gap behind the skirting. As said by a few others, notch away the plaster above the skirting and with a bit of luck and dexterity you may be able to feed your new cable down behind the skirting and below the floorboards. Notch the end of the floorboard before replacing so as not to trap the cable between it and the wall.

16 inch piece of 6mm all thread bent on a curve.. even more effective if you grind a flat point on it and twist it ...

at a push, a hacksaw blade will work but a mitre saw blade works better ( it's a bit thicker.. ). cut the curved end off and sharpen the flat bit.. grind the teeth off too to save your hands..

a knackered wood chisel works too.

vacuum cleaner with a crevice nozel to get the spoil out..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back