Smart heating control for community hall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for a control system which will be best suited for a village hall, which has an oil boiler and radiator heating system. The building has WiFi and ethernet.

The criteria:
  • Must have a cloud / browser interface for control. Smartphone apps can be additional benefit, but, system must not be an app-only solution.
  • Needs to support 12+ users.
  • Be capable of controlling 3x heating zones
  • Must have a tamper-proof physical device on the wall. Hirer's must not be able to alter temp. Though it might be useful to allow extra time by pressing a boost button.
  • Able to have timer, boost, etc. for individual zones.
  • Be simple and come with a warranty (so raspberry pi + a load of hacks is off the list)
  • Bonus - Be part of an exandable system to add more smart features and be future-proof.
  • Highly desirable feature - link to a calendar for events. E.g. switch on heating at 6pm every Wed for the 7pm Yoga class.
We've found that home systems are too user-centric. Too reliant on dweller's mobile phone and its location. The hall has 12 committee members, none of whom live in the hall, and any one of them must be able to remotely switch on the heating.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Sponsored Links
Sonoff I would guess, I was talking about this the other day, do you really need to alter the temperature remotely or simply swap from defrost to comfort? I don't know if any wifi system has a limit to number of users. But I have Nest at home, and the thought was it is in real terms either in eco or comfort mode, so really is used like two thermostats with a switch on the one set to comfort.

As you point out it needs to be simple and a standard system so anyone can use and repair. That's why I said sonoff, although never used it, reports are it is simple on/off switching using internet.

I used Energenie simply because when I bought it I thought it would work with Nest, and my son had sung the praises of Nest, and yes Nest is good, but Energenie needs it's own hub, and is a bit expensive.

However any on/off switch would do the same in most cases, so I would guess you have set times and days when rooms are used, and this was the main reason why we went to Energenie we had an alarm which wanted switching off when carers were due, but also switching on after they left, so I had three slots, which I could select which day of week active, I really needed four slots, but also could use IFTTT to get extra slot, and the remote controls mean could work when down stairs and I was upstairs. But using this example may show the limitations, it only had three slots, or times, it could only have three remote controls and also internet.

In comparison with Nest Gen 3 I can set a temperature change every hour, and I do, so in the morning it goes up 0.5°C per hour so the TRV's have time to adjust temperature of each room. I clearly don't know what the premises are used for, but maybe some days heating needs to auto switch on at 5 pm and others 6 pm and others 7 pm and what every is selected needs to have enough slots. I did not find how many slots either Nest or Energenie had until after I had bought them.

Oddly with the Energenie TRV heads I do not seem to have run out of slots, same with Nest, I don't know if there is a limit, other than it needs with Nest an hour between each slot, but TRV heads as far as I am aware I could set to run for 5 minutes if I wanted.

What I would consider, can a motorised valve be swapped for a TRV head or similar? Never looked at it, as had no reason to do it, but a TRV is in essence the same as a motorised valve once an electronic head is fitted, and as far as I can see the controls used for under floor heating and nearly the same as TRV bases, so instead of the zones using zone valves if they used TRV heads either on radiators or on whole system it could mean you can control area temperatures far easier and simpler?

I would look at Drayton Wiser, not used it, but it seems the TRV heads can be linked together where one room has many radiators, my cheap bluetooth TRV heads can be linked but there is a limit of 5 heads which can be linked.

Not sure this is best section to be asking for help in, you need people who have used the systems, may be better in plumbing section?

With oil fired central heating everything is easy, it simply switches on/off, but if gas fired, often the boiler will modulate, i.e. turn down output rather than switch off/on, if gas often zone valves can mess up the system as it wants something that gradually turns up/down not simply on/off.

But how much control do you want? Do you need it on times, or just internet control, when the camera club used a church for meetings what it needed was a remote off, when we arrive we had to arrange chairs so small group always arrived early and we would turn on heating, where the problem lay was on leaving often not turned off. Again back to my alarms having a timed on/off three times a day meant what ever state left in, on the times it would return to schedule. So a timed on at 10:45 pm and off at 11 pm would mean they can turn on when arriving but your sure it is switched off again at 11 pm.

Sponsored Links
I'd go with Sonoff but with some caveats;

I've got a couple of these cards https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07JPL78KQ 4 channel SPDT relays, latest firmware allows you to have different modes on individual channels (so you can mix momentary and latching if you needed to) and one of these https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07TT92V6X
The freebie app (eWe link) runs on Andriod or IOS, once you've set the cards up you can share access to them to different users (not tried this to see how well it works IRL)

I've not played with the API, it does link to Alexa, Google Home etc (tho my phone doesn't do Google Home cos its a cheap Motorola with a cut down version of Android), not sure whether you could get it to talk to an external schedule and building schedules within the thing is doable but tedious.

The TH16 thermostat thing is annoying- I can get it to control its own output via schedule and temperature but it won't drive the other cards (which via scheduled scenes it ought to)

It is cheap but not sure it would suit your setup unless you've got someone on the committee who likes fiddling with such things. Plus it fails dismally if you lose your broadband connection to the venue for any reason- not ideal for a commercial operation.

That £440 option (if it will link to your event schedule) is probably not a bad deal if you can lock out some of the functions on the things as per your requirements. Given your circumstances I'd have a chat with that company and see what's what- they look like decent bits of kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back