Wireless/Smart heating control for electric radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice regarding controlling electric radiators. I have a small 50m2 two up two down 80's mid terrace which is heated by three electric radiators, which I absolutely love. I have a 1800W Haverland RC14V as the main radiator in the lounge. This is currently powered off a fused spur using the rads built in timer and thermostat for control. I also have two vertical designer rads which are water filled and heated by 800W immersion type heaters. These are both powered by timeguard timed fused spurs on which i set a heating program. One of these rads is in the kitchen, and one of them is on the landing which is open to the lounge via the staircase. The house gets lovely and warm with these three but as I live alone and as I dont really have a regular in/out time I was thinking of trying to install some wireless control for them, so that I can control the heating from my phone. I would also like to install a room thermostat if possible too.

Doing some research it seems that there are surprising few options for controlling electric radiators. It seems as though the simplest option would be to replace the three fused spurs with timeguard wifi controlled ones. This would give me phone control, but no thermostat.

It seems as though the best and least intrusive bet for a true smart system would be a heatmiser system comprising of a 16A control relay for each rad, a neoair wireless thermostat and the associated hub. Does anyone have experience of this system, the amazon reviews of the individual components aren't super great but as far as I can work out this would give me the control i require? I particularly like the idea of the geofencing on the app etc.

Also I have reservations about the haverland rad as it says it can be controlled by an "external timer" however it will lose its memory of settings if it is switched off for more than 24h. It does however offer "pilot wire" control, could someone explain what this is and if there is a heatmiser gadget that can be wired in to control it?

Are there any other systems i have missed? It seems hive/nest etc wont work with electric rads as they dont have high amp relays.

Sorry for the long post

Clive

Sponsored Links
When I first moved into this house I had a wifi socket controlling my central heating, there is no reason why wifi sockets should not be used to control heaters, I would not recommend the make I use, as only three timed slots, but using IFTTT you can get more including weather forecast dependent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back