Wifi enabled heating controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know of a device that can directly replace an existing heating programmer with the same functions operable remotely via the internet? I'm not looking for a 'hive' system or anything with wireless thermostats, just the ability to switch two channels on or off, remotely. One for hot water, one for central heating. All electric, so one channel controls immersion heaters, and the other channel controls a central heating pump.

Sponsored Links
I have also been considering this, simple on/off no need for any temperature control, already have that.

I have considered the MiHome Energenie relay around £30 because in my case I already have the hub, there is really no need to control domestic hot water, be it instant or stored as even with stored if no water used the energy loss is so slow it is not worth the effort.

However because of the price of the hub, for you likely not best option. You want a simple wifi light switch that needs a neutral, where in the UK for a light switch we want one that does not need a neutral. I know there are switches made that have a neutral so don't need a drain through the boiler, and don't need a hub. But as to which one will work for you I don't know.

With MiHome Energenie I have eTRV heads which do not seem to have a limit to number of events, however 13A sockets, light switch, and energy monitor/remote switch all have a limit of three events. I would assume the relay is the same. The big problem is a power cut, they default off, so until next timed event it will remain off.

I originally fitted to socket to work an extruder alarm, to warn me if mother went out of the house, the alarm was fitted up stairs to wake us in the night should she wander off, but that meant going upstairs to switch it off or set it, tried timer, did not work as people would come to the door outside hours set for, tried simple remote control, but it did not report state so we thought it was on when it was not, the smart socket combined both so even if not set, next timed slot it would set anyway. Now socket just turns on my bedside light.

Lightwave also do a relay but again it needs a hub. Weton states no hub required, Sonoff also seems not to need hub. In most cases you will likely need an adaptable box to mount it in, the programmer is only a time switch, but if your looking for a simple remove off programmer and replace with new don't think you will find one.

If you want to switch immersion heaters you will need a high current relay, so be aware any output must be able to switch the load properly.
Given the above, have you considered wiring a WiFi or GSM switch in parallel with your existing programmer, so that either will switch your load?
I have wired a GSM relay (4 relay outputs) to my father's heating system, so that I can turn on the CH, the HW, or just the boiler remotely by text message. This is because he has no t'interweb in the house.
If you use a WiFi web enabled switch (Sonoff, etc) you can activate them via a smartypants phone, though the feedback is a simple 'It's on' or 'it's off'.

Sponsored Links
I have 6 devices connected to my hub, three I can switch on/off, but it does not report if on or off, two I can set up/down and it actually tells me what the settings are, and reports the temperature, the last one switches on/off and also reports how much power is being used, and if actually set on or off.

This is a problem with many devices, so many will actually switch, but don't say if they have received the command, my Honeywell thermostat is not connected to the PC, however it does have a fail safe, if the receiver does not get a signal once every half hour it switches off, the other cheaper thermostat however does not have this fail save, so a flat battery can cause the house to just get hotter and hotter.

My TRV heads actually tell me on the PC the volts of the batteries, so I know when they need changing.

It does not need to be same device, I realised something had gone wrong with the thermostat because the camera showed me the room temperature. So even if a simple relay will do the job, some times we need a thermostat so we can see it has actually worked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back