WiFi connected TRV heads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My late mother at 93 needed careful central heating control, I tried all sorts over around 4 years when she was under my care to improve the control.

Fitted two thermostats one in each room used with programmer and programmable thermostat so it swapped between the two day and night, the wireless programmable thermostat lost sensitivity and had to be moved closer and closer to receiver ending up in kitchen one meter away.

Next was a pair of wifi TRV heads again one in each room, main thermostat put back in hall.

Then fitted a standard TRV in hall as well as thermostat on wall at this reasonable control.

So mother has died and looking to rent house, not wanting to have to maintain the internet controlled TRV heads these were removed and replaced with the old manual heads, I expected the room temperature to go daft again.

However noticed no change, it would seem now there is a TRV in the hall all works A1, did not need the expensive electronic valves, yet we are told do not fit a TRV in the room with the wall thermostat, however in practice it has shown in real terms it works.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to hear about your mom.

However noticed no change, it would seem now there is a TRV in the hall all works A1, did not need the expensive electronic valves, yet we are told do not fit a TRV in the room with the wall thermostat, however in practice it has shown in real terms it works.
What change were you expecting?

I would have thought that there should be no change in heating "feel", as the only difference is that one is wireless and one not. The advice about not using both TRV and room stat is really based on that an extra stat is not needed so it's cost is unnecesary, or that potentially the TRV could close (the room being hot enough) but the room stat could still be open thus wasting gas with the boiler on.

Otherwise things will still work fine.

The point of a connected TRV is to keep the boiler on when there is a room where the radiator needs heat. In the conventional set-up, you heat the hall with the rad on full blast until the hall is nice and toasty, but if your lounge has higher heat loss, or a smaller radiator then the system goes off while the lounge is still cold. To counteract this, you turn up the thermostat in the hall and waste a lot of heat keeping your hall too hot. Alternatively you have a linked trv in the lounge so that the boiler stays on till it warms up. Putting your thermostat on the hall radiator means your hall thermostat won't turn it off, so the risk is that the boiler stays on when all the trvs have shut down and there's nowhere for the water to go. If you have another bypass, the boiler stays on when there's no call for heat. Connected trv allows the boiler to shut down when all the rooms are up to temp, and come on again when any 1 trv needs heat.

Sponsored Links
I was very careful when setting hall TRV and wall thermostat. Idea is the TRV will reduce flow in hall radiator as hall approaches wall thermostat temperature so slowing down how quickly the hall hits the set temperature so other rooms have a chance to also warm up, but the wall thermostat will switch off boiler before the TRV fully closes.

However decided to sell house, so no longer my worry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back