Smart devices interconnection.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have loads of smart devices, to in the main get around lack of thought when house built, and lack of access to under floor wiring.

They all in some way connect to Google Home. They may have there own app to set them up, but then connect to the Nest Mini speakers so we can use voice commands.

Some features are not available with Google Home but in the main enough, so when daughter goes outside and down to flat, hey Google turn on outside lights turns on 6 devices with three different makes at least.

But with the central heating there seems to be a lack of control over the boiler, it relies on the hall radiator TRV ensuring the hall does not heat up too fast, so the hall wall thermostat does not turn off boiler too soon. If the living room is too cool, the TRV's can't tell hall wall thermostat to turn on boiler.

We have two TP-Link hubs, both with built in speakers, one is connected to a TRV head the other to 4 light switches and push button at door, one is Kasa the other Tapo but can't see a way for both to ring when door bell push is pressed.

Any ideas? Zigbee, and Energenie are other two hubs, wall thermostat Nest Gen 3. Any pointers?

Sponsored Links
so you want to know how to link together competing proprietary communications protocols that allows full duplex and all through a voice activate interface?

Should not be a trv in area controlling stat .
That was the idea many years ago. To be frank can't really see what a wall stat is for? The TRV sets room temperatures, but need either a boiler that monitors return water temperature, or a hub to collect info from the TRV heads.

Some hubs do have a thermostat built in to ensure should the wireless links fail the boiler does turn off, but although it worked in mothers house, it does not work in mine.

Reason is although I can adjust heating speed, with lock shield valve, I can't adjust cooling speed, and living room cools faster that hall.

Sponsored Links

That was the idea many years ago. To be frank can't really see what a wall stat is for? The TRV sets room temperatures, but need either a boiler that monitors return water temperature, or a hub to collect info from the TRV heads.

Some hubs do have a thermostat built in to ensure should the wireless links fail the boiler does turn off, but although it worked in mothers house, it does not work in mine.

Reason is although I can adjust heating speed, with lock shield valve, I can't adjust cooling speed, and living room cools faster that hall.
Wireless stats work better as they can be placed to optimise the heating system .

It's a combination of controls...

Without the stat, the boiler would cycle year round, when ever the heating was turned on. The stat inhibits the boiler, once the general temperature exceeds what ever you have decided is the desired temperature - which is why the stat goes, where no TRV is fitted.

I don't see any point in having the stat, in the same room as you have the TRV, because the boiler would only run, when that room became too cool. Your stat and TRV would be fighting each other, rather than complementing each others control.

but can't see a way for both to ring when door bell push is pressed.

The obvious answer to connect disparate systems is to use IFTTT, but you'll need a pro version for a couple of quid a month to have multiple actions. The other thing I don't like about IFTTT is it adds another layer of complexity. However, it does seem to work reliably, so it would be IF doorbell pressed THEN ring Tapo sounder AND ring Kasa sounder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back