Wireless / Internet operated Heating Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to replace my normal manually operated heating control. i.e. where I actually have to go to the control to change the times the heating comes on and off. I want to be able to be able to change the on and off programmes remotely.

I dont need or want thermostats or any other features.

It needs to have a seven day timer with three channels.

All the smart controls seem to be integrated with thermostats etc.

Is there anyone who produces a replacement heating control that simply allows me to change the programmes remotely?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, they all incorporate a thermostat as it's a requirement now a days. You could fit any control you want and just set the thermostat temp to 30 so it doesn't do anything.

You could use Smart Switches, via Alexa. Those you can program however it suits you, what ever times, individual days change or temporary override instantly from wherever you are providing you have internet access.

I have just bought 8 of them, to control various things remotely, such as outside lights on at dusk, off at midnight, my car's battery charger on once per day, electric blanket on for a few minutes before I retire when it is cold, I can set lights to go on and off randomly, whilst the house is unoccupied to simulate someone being home. All these I can set up to work automatically at set times, under set conditions, or under remote manual control from my phone, my tablet, my PC or simply speaking to Alexa.

There is a switch called a SONOFF which will allow just what you're asking, though it may not have the required number of ON-OFF periods that you (have not) specified. You will need 3 or them for your 3 channels, but be aware that the interface is ONLY via the smarty-pants phone app, so you can't change the set program if the t'interweb comms don't work.

Sponsored Links
You could use Smart Switches, via Alexa. Those you can program however it suits you, what ever times, individual days change or temporary override instantly from wherever you are providing you have internet access.

I have just bought 8 of them, to control various things remotely, such as outside lights on at dusk, off at midnight, my car's battery charger on once per day, electric blanket on for a few minutes before I retire when it is cold, I can set lights to go on and off randomly, whilst the house is unoccupied to simulate someone being home. All these I can set up to work automatically at set times, under set conditions, or under remote manual control from my phone, my tablet, my PC or simply speaking to Alexa.

Do the likes of Hive, Nest or Tado do what I need?

You might find one of these handy https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07JPL78KQ/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
As above they're only controllable via the app (there is a LAN mode so i think if internet poos itself but your wifi still runs you can still control them). Programming all via the app, infinite on and off times, not sure if there's any geofencing.
Works best with a normal hardwired stat in the circuit- i've tried using a wifi stat & set conditions in the app but it appears that the app only checks the thermostat at switchon time...that was 2 firmware updates ago so it may have improved

Do the likes of Hive, Nest or Tado do what I need?
Yes, but at a cost. You will need two at least for your 3 channels.
Use the hot water switching output for the channels (one on each Nest receiver) that you want without temperature control. For the third channel simply set a high temperature that won't be achieved (30C?) for the ON periods, and 5C for the OFF periods. For local control you can boost/override the 'hot water' channels, and turn the temperature dial to achieve the same for the 3rd channel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back