Wireless Thermostatic Radiator Valves and wireless thermostats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of installing wireless thermostats and wireless thermostatic valves on radiators, so then I can control the heating in every room remotely.

I imagine, each radiator has a wireless thermostatic valve, and all those valves talk to a central "timer", which then instructs the boiler.

Obviously, while being able to control my heating from anywhere in the world is a bonus, fundamentally I should also be able to control it from a control panel, or phone app, at home, and without internet.

My initial thought is, will the system continue to function and will I be able to control my radiators when the internet is down? Do you know of any such system?

Sponsored Links
Yes.

I have it.

Read my post history and search for "Wiser".

Needs a little bit of thought regarding any bypasses but otherwise, its how heating controls should be.

Highly recommended

Also have Wiser and does what you are describing.
Honeywell Evo and Tado similar. Not sure that Tado works without internet.

I looked at 2 sites today, I cannot recall which, I think one was Drayton Wiser, and I could not see anywhere how the system works, and crucially does it have internet dependency. So I have written to them, but I think an explanation of how the system works and what happens if the internet is down or you lose your phone, should be on page 1. Hopefully they will reply.

My simple questions are,
(1) is there a console I can use to setup and control the radiators?
(2) If I have to use a phone app, does it do it via Bluetooth, or maybe home wifi, and if wifi, does it depend on the internet?

Sponsored Links
I think you will be whistling in the wind to be able to have fully controlled system without wifi/internet unless you go industrial and/or mad with rf units.

I looked at 2 sites today, I cannot recall which, I think one was Drayton Wiser, and I could not see anywhere how the system works, and crucially does it have internet dependency. So I have written to them, but I think an explanation of how the system works and what happens if the internet is down or you lose your phone, should be on page 1. Hopefully they will reply.

My simple questions are,
(1) is there a console I can use to setup and control the radiators?
(2) If I have to use a phone app, does it do it via Bluetooth, or maybe home wifi, and if wifi, does it depend on the internet?
1. No, you have to use the Wiser Home app.
2. The app communicates with the Wiser hub via WiFi, there is no reliance on internet to operate the heating. The "Insights" data is the only part that must have internet access.

3) How do the radiator valves talk to the Hub? Wifi still?
4) Does the Hub make its own wifi, or do you also need to have a wifi access point?
5) If the distances are large, do the radiator valves use each other to reach the hub, I think this is what they call "hive" ?

3) How do the radiator valves talk to the Hub? Wifi still?
4) Does the Hub make its own wifi, or do you also need to have a wifi access point?
5) If the distances are large, do the radiator valves use each other to reach the hub, I think this is what they call "hive" ?
3. The TRV's communicate with the hub using zigbee.
4. The hub uses your existing 2.4g wifi.
5. The TRV's, and room thermostats, will only communicate to a mains powered device. Only the Wiser hub, Wiser smart plug and Wiser Electric heat switch are mains powered.

5. Zigbee can use mesh networking. Does this mean Wiser is lacking in this respect? I am interested because my house is large and the TRVs will not reach the hub.

6. Is the hub wired to the boiler? Or is there another box next to the boiler? Because then I could put the hub in the "middle" of the house to allow it to reach all TRVs.

wiser will operate on either 2.4 or 5ghz wifi. system can be connected via a smart phone if in the hometo the wiser wifi. but its best if sysem is fully setup to house wifi then full remote operation is available.

If you get wiser installed by an installer who is part of draytons scheme then you get 5yrs warranty. they should also be able to supply and install at zero vat

Wiser works well. A smart system is not actually smart unless there are individual radiator controls. Google Nest for instance is actually dumb.

Check with the system provider that it does not rely on the Internet for control. There has been more than one occasion when British Gas's Hive system went down and users were left with a cold uncontrollable heating system.

Wiser is bringing out a rental / pay monthly option to avoid upfront purchase costs.

Rather than the phone app, you could have the app on a cheap tablet and use that as a central controller. But TBH, once set up and after it does a few months learning you should hardly need to adjust it. You can however manually adjust the TRVs, or use the room stat.

wiser can use the remote plugs to act as a booster for the system communications.
I have some set ups that are very large properties using 16 zones, 6 smart plugs and over 30 rad trv heads

As I am buying a new system, which make/model thermostatic radiator valves should I buy? Because I will then have to throw away the head and install the Wiser valves anyway. Sounds like a waste of money.

As I am buying a new system, which make/model thermostatic radiator valves should I buy? Because I will then have to throw away the head and install the Wiser valves anyway. Sounds like a waste of money.
I have the Wiser TRV's fitted onto Honeywell valves. No problems so far (system installed a year ago).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back