Evohome question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently moved into a new house which has a combi boiler (Vaillant ECOtec plus 838) and two zones (upstairs and downstairs) controlled by two thermostats (Danfoss TP4000), one in the hallway and one in bedroom 1. I am interested in installing the Honeywell Evohome system, but I am not sure what components I would need for the following two scenarios.

Scenario 1: Replicate existing functionality (control two existing zones, but not individual radiators), but also be able to do it wirelessly over the internet using an app.

Scenario 2: Be able to individually control the temperature of 3 radiators upstairs and 2 downstairs, again also wirelessly over the internet using an app. Would I still need two thermostats in this case?

Many thanks in advance and have a good Easter,

Kostas

Sponsored Links
if you want a trouble free working system and costing plenty of money i wouldn't bother , tip , try their help line see how far you get just for curiosity .

You would need in scenario (1) a WiFi Base kit, plus two Y87RF thermostat kits.

In scenario (2) you would need the WiFi Base kit and enough HR92 radiator controllers to do every radiator and towel rail in the house - plus, we would change one valve on each radiator for Honeywell's V120/15a compatible valve body, as performance with other valves isn't as good, and can also reduce battery life.

As AGAS says, the helpline are always v busy (expect 30 min wait) and more experienced Evo installers know more than them anyway, because we are installing units every other day.

Once set up, Evo is pretty reliable. I've got an installed base of over 400 systems now; if it was going wrong all the time I wouldn't be fitting any boilers. But the installation process is not consistent and the instructions are not the best at the moment. The product once installed is brilliant. It is worth saying that Honeywell is a big company and though Evohome was always intended to be put in by a trained Evo installer - the quest for sales and the later arrival on the DIY market of much less sophisticated systems like Hive, NEST etc has pushed Evohome into Screwfix and the like.

If you buy it, get it from Richard at the Evohome Shop. Nice chap, and he will support you. Evohome is brilliant IMHO, my customers love it too.

Sponsored Links
In scenario (2) you would need the WiFi Base kit and enough HR92 radiator controllers to do every radiator and towel rail in the house - plus, we would change one valve on each radiator for Honeywell's V120/15a compatible valve body, as performance with other valves isn't as good, and can also reduce battery life.

Thanks for your reply Simon.
Would it be possible to use a combination of two Y87RF thermostats and 3-4 HR92s for the main rooms that I am interested in controlling (2 bedrooms and the lounge). I don't really care about the other rooms at the moment. Can an Evohome system work with a mixture of HR92s and normal TRVs or do they all have to be HR92s? Also, does this setup make sense or am I missing something? I am just trying to keep the cost at a reasonable level.

It depends. If you use a Y87RF for a zone, the other rads outside this zone could all be fitted with HR92 rad valves. You would not have a zone valve under Evo control with further Evo rad valves downstream on that same motorised zone valve.

Basically, if you do not put all the house under Evohome there's not a great deal of point, or advantage. I would wait until you can afford to do the job properly.

Buy a Heat Genius system...it's like Evohome, but without the communication issues and poor manufacturer backup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back