wireless programmable thermostat with system boiler ?

If you have the boiler at 75°C, the hot water will be coming out of the tap at about that temperature, which is much too hot - almost dangerous. Shower temperatures are about 40°C and bath temperatures even lower. The water in the cylinder needs to be at about 60°C to prevent the growth of Legionella.

I would seriously consider installing a cylinder stat and valve. The boiler would still be left at 75°C.

Sponsored Links
If i install a cylinder stat do i have to run the wiring from that stat down to my boiler/programmer in the kitchen ?
Where would the new valve go, above the boiler like the other one ?.
Apologies for the novice questions, i might get the plumber back anyway as it was only installed last july

If i install a cylinder stat do i have to run the wiring from that stat down to my boiler/programmer in the kitchen ?
Where would the new valve go, above the boiler like the other one ?.
The pipe from the boiler must split into two branches. One branch will have the existing valve; the second branch will go to the HW cylinder. The new valve will go in the branch to the HW cylinder. This valve will be opened/closed by the cylinder stat, which means a wire between them. There is also a switch in the valve which controls the boiler, which means another wire.

This may help explain things:

View media item 71 View media item 72
I might get the plumber back anyway as it was only installed last july
Might be a good idea, as he did not leave you with a properly working system which meets current regulations.

Thanks you have been a great help,

I will contact my plumber and get this looked at and query why i didnt get a cylinder stat originally.
For now though if i connect the wireless programmable stat to the boiler ill still be able to control the central heating with the plumbing configuration i have, using the original programmer to control the hot water only (leaving central heat on constant ), do i wire the wireless receiver in such a way that when it calls for heat it triggers the boiler and the valve to send heat to the rads ?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have successfully added the programmable wireless room thermostat and have noticed a big improvement in the heating of the house already,thanks D_Hailsham & mrgas for all your help so far.
Now i need to tackle adding the cylinder thermostat and wiring, i have attached a image of the pipework above my boiler, the pipe on the right with the valve is for the central heating circuit, it branches off to the pipe on the left which goes to my cylinder, do i need to add another one of the valves to this pipe ?
View media item 18652
Could i then get a wireless cylinder thermostat and wire the receiver into the valve and the separate hot water programmer, am i on the right track with this setup ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back