Smart plugs - Just getting to grips with them

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I picked up a Firebox, which combines Amazon Fire with built in Alexa a few weeks ago, so now I dabbling with Smart Plugs. Four so far, but with another four on order because I found them so useful.

My old method was a mish-mash of RF controlled plug adaptors, with a remote control (printer and garden flood lights), solar time clock for outside light, self designed timers to power down after 20 minutes (compressor) and plug in time clocks for charging up the car's battery once per day.

It seems Smart Plugs can replace most all of these things and can be controlled by voice (Alexa) or an Alexa app on my Iphone.

I now have my outside drive light coming on at precisely 21 minutes after dusk, going off at 23:00. Car's battery is given a 20 minute charge up at 23:00. I can turn my printers on in my spare bedroom, via a voice command when I need to print, or likewise my garden/drive flood lighting.

My additional four SP's will allow me to automatically give the caravan battery a regular boost charge; have some table lights come on in the house whilst away from home - to give the impression that it is occupied, then finally one to turn my compressor on in the garage, when I need to check tyre pressures on car, caravan, or tractor etc..

For the latter, I just need to know if there is a way to have SM's turn off automatically 20 minutes after they have been turned on by manual command, then I can do away with my electronic timer. Anyone know if t can be done?

Sponsored Links
I needs a time + remote control in mothers old house, and I got a number of smart sockets as it allowed a mixture of controls, however two problems.

1) Any power cut and default is off.
2) My Nest Mini is like the Santander bank advert.

I will say turn off music and it says turning off 5 switches, and all the lights go off, ask it to turn lights back on, and get don't know how to do that yet.

So I could not give battery a boost charge, as charger needs me to press a selection button, plus each time I put it on charge it has to go through the sequence, so better to simply leave on charge and let the smart charger look after the charging.

I do use them to turn on the air conditioning before I start home, and turn on outside lights, but really just because I already have them, I have removed 2 of the 5 light switches, really not impressed. Odd but the three left in the bedrooms are now working A1, however I now regard them as toys, and would not use them on any essential services.

So I could not give battery a boost charge, as charger needs me to press a selection button, plus each time I put it on charge it has to go through the sequence, so better to simply leave on charge and let the smart charger look after the charging.

I do use them to turn on the air conditioning before I start home, and turn on outside lights, but really just because I already have them, I have removed 2 of the 5 light switches, really not impressed. Odd but the three left in the bedrooms are now working A1, however I now regard them as toys, and would not use them on any essential services.

I installed a 8amp basic (voltage controlled) charger on a time clock a while back, as a means to ensure it would be maintained without my needing to constantly worry about a smart charger being reset by a power outage.

I hadn't realised Smart Plugs would be turned off by a power cut, though they are rare here - but something to keep in mind.

Certainly very convenient, with everything centrally under control and easy to adjust, proving you have your phone to hand.

I have found the program is retained with a power cut, so I have the shortlist time off/on with most so it will at least will only be off until next day, but the smart charger is a problem as it will not auto restart.

I have around 20 units, 4 TVR's, 1 monitor, 1 monitor/switch, 1 4 way extension lead, 5 light switches, 3 double 13A sockets,, 7 Nest Mini's, Nest Gen 3, 2 hubs.

One hub and two light switches are not being used, Homebase stopped doing Energenie and were selling off their stock rather cheap and I went a bit mad.

I thought the problem was the Nest Mini's however after removing 2 light switches the problems stopped, so it seems likely interfering with each other.

I want to put outside lights at back of house on a smart control, the PIR is not that good of a method.

Sponsored Links
I have found the program is retained with a power cut, so I have the shortlist time off/on with most so it will at least will only be off until next day, but the smart charger is a problem as it will not auto restart.

I asked about that, plus what would happen if I turned my Iphone off - I was told the programming is on the cloud, so power loss here or switching my Iphone off, makes no difference, everything will operate normally. I'm not sure whether or not that includes the Alexa being without power - I suspect not.

As said, the four SM's are already allocated, with not much opportunity to play. I will be able to play though, once my next batch of four is delivered. I'm also curious about their working range and what happens if wifi contact is a bit iffy - do the command continue to be sent out until a SM responds?

As said, the one for the charger in my garage, is under a metal roof, behind a metal roller shutter and its wifi connection is less than 100%, but it is so far managing.

Mine will change if internet down when using phone, but remote control still works, I use the monitor for switching on AC so I can see if just fan running or if compressor running as wel.l

For the latter, I just need to know if there is a way to have SM's turn off automatically 20 minutes after they have been turned on by manual command, then I can do away with my electronic timer. Anyone know if t can be done?

Yes, it can be done, but it took me a while to work out how to. I input the routines commands in the natural order of progression - turn on, wait 20 minutes, turn off. Problem was it listed the commands last inserted at the top and first to happen - off, wait, on. Then I found they could be rearranged into what ever order is needed - the routine then works fine.

Oh, and it seems that after a power cut, a Smart Plug continues to be in the correct state, on or off, according to the routine associated with it.

Last edited:
A smart plug flashed with tasmota firmware could do this if you fancy tinkering... the good thing about tasmota is it will all be locally controlled and can interface locally with alexa.

A smart plug flashed with tasmota firmware could do this if you fancy tinkering... the good thing about tasmota is it will all be locally controlled and can interface locally with alexa.

Maybe, at a future date, but thanks.

For now, I'm happy tinkering with the ready rolled apps.

Its a shame shelly dont make a UK smart plug, their app is very good for all sorts of things.... Perhaps some time in the future...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back