Smart reader and microwave usage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I had smart reader installed last week, monitored several appliances such as toaster, kettle, electric heater, TVs and smart reader shows usages near rated value of the appliance. However, I have a 7 year old Sharp microwave rated at 800W but the smart reader is showing around 1500W usage, any ideas why?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it 800W on the lowest setting & 1500 on the highest? You would need to search for the tech details using the model number which you have not supplied.

1500W in, 800W out. The rest goes as hot air blown out through those slots you mustn't block. Plus turntable, indicators, timers and ping.

What does it say on the RATING plate - somewhere on the back or bottom?

I doubt it's quite a s much as 1500W.

800 Watts is the OUTPUT of the Magnetron into the microwave cavity.

The conversion of electricity to microwave energy is not very efficient... so it uses 1500 Watts. (inc the motor turntable and little light).

Turn the microwave box round and read the rating plate label on the back for confirmation.

Sponsored Links
Yes fair enough, I just checked the manual online:
AC Power required: Microwave: 1270 W
Output power: Microwave: 800 W

Model: Sharp 272WM Microwave

I remember a lecture by Sir Richard Davis on the early days of RADAR, and how the were finding seagulls dead at Orfod Nest (sure spelling is wrong) and when sent to find out how they died, seems they were landing ready cooked, so they thought they could produce a death ray, but could not get the beam narrow enough, however it was this research which resulted in the birth of the micro wave cooker.

I had a friend who used micro wave, but distance was very limited, however since narrow beam, reasonable private, I could hurt myself enough with HF, burns take ages to heal, so treat microwave with a lot of respect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back