Very high energy usage - advice appreciated

The Owl thing or some thing similar ... However to measure less than 10 watt it was useless...
Such devices are, of course, not intended for that sort of purpose.

However, having said that, I've just done an experiment with one of the phases of my supply which currently had no load on it. My Owl said ...

upload_2022-2-7_18-56-24.png

On switching on a "12W" LED light, I see this:

upload_2022-2-7_18-57-4.png

Given that the device is measuring just current, and that the PF of an LED is undoubtedly lower than the 'average PF' I have programmed into my system, "16W" (16 VA) sounds quite credible - certainly not a mile off

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Which is the same one I have bought and as Eric suggests it seems to be fairly accurate, great for long term monitoring the likes of fridges and freezers, for say a week, or a month, to get a better average consumption rating...

upload_2022-2-7_17-35-25-png.260159

Which is the same one I have bought and as Eric suggests it seems to be fairly accurate, great for long term monitoring the likes of fridges and freezers, for say a week, or a month, to get a better average consumption rating...
Indeed. I also have a couple of them, and they are very useful. However, they obviously are not intended (and cannot be used) for 'whole installation' monitoring such as the OP requires.

Kind Regards, John

Your electric usage is low-normal.

Welcome to energy poverty.

Sponsored Links
Your electric usage is low-normal. Welcome to energy poverty.
Indeed. As I wrote back on page 1 ..
Electricity has progressively become more expensive. Don't you have any old bills you can look at? As my own figures perhaps go some way to illustrating, I don't think that your current usage is all that far from 'average' (for a house without electric heating).

Kind Regards, John

Indeed. I also have a couple of them, and they are very useful. However, they obviously are not intended (and cannot be used) for 'whole installation' monitoring such as the OP requires.

Kind Regards, John

True, but as said they work extremely well to monitor individual appliance consumption over a period of time and in fact several combined appliances if they are served by one socket, such as his son's system entertainment system usage.

True, but as said they work extremely well to monitor individual appliance consumption over a period of time and in fact several combined appliances if they are served by one socket, such as his son's system entertainment system usage.
Sure, as we've both said, that's the sort of thing that they are useful for, and a purpose for which both you and I use them.

However, as said (and in the context of the OP in this thread), 'whole installation monitoring' is a totally different matter.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back