Meter Problems (Possibly).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We got an electricity bill last week and it was an estimated bill so we checked the meter. According to the meter we've used six months worth of electricity in three months which is, frankly, impossible. There's only two of us in the house and we're very energy consious; nothing is left on standby (except the Sky box which can't be turned off), we use energy saving lightbulbs etc. The only things left on are the 2 fridge-freezers, the Sky box (as mentioned) and my laptop. My main PC is always turned off after use.

I've checked the new PC I built, thinking the PSU might be faulty, but I had it and the monitor on for a hour, just to test, and it used 1kwh of electric (that's with leaving the laptop and two fridge-freezers on too), so it's not that. I've wracked my brains and nothing else has changed; the same lighting is used as was used when the last bill came in; we're not using the power-shower any more than usual etc, etc. There's just nothing else I can think of that would cause our bill to double in 3 months. So the only thing we can think of is that the meter's faulty.

I've Googled but can't find any answers. Just wondered if there's any logical explanation for the meter showing such a large jump in usage?

Cheers,
Ex.

Sponsored Links
When is the last time it was actually read as opposed to an estimated reading?

I think there are two things you need to do, first verify if the meter really is claiming that you've used six months worth, or if it's due to confusion somewhere:
* What are you comparing the current reading to, if it was a previous estimated bill, is it possible that was too low?
* How are you determining that it is 6 months worth of electricity, is this in comparison to previous bills usage, or just the amount (remember electricity recently has been more expensive than in the past)

If you really do appear to have used significantly more electricity than expected, then things to check are:
* Any immersion heaters left on / on a timer?
* Any other electrical heating equipment anywhere?
* If you turn off everything at the plug sockets and light switches, and any fused spurs for e.g. heating system etc, does the meter still turn round, and if so how quickly (this may indicate a potential fault somewhere that is leaking current e.g. to earth)

If nothing obvious, then you need to verify the meter is accurate - the easiest way to do this is probably to get one of those wireless power monitors that you clamp round the cable, leave it running for a week, and see if it's usage matches (roughly) the meters - if it's well off, then call your supplier and tell them you believe your meter is faulty. Having the data as to roughly how faulty it is, will help you get billed for the appropriate amount, as you can show them the data, and work out a proportion to divide the reading by...

Depends on how old your meter is but there have been cases where the suppliers have been using the wrong conversion factor and issuing large bills in error.

Sponsored Links
I thought that was gas meters - as far as I was aware electric meters have only ever read in KWH (since we've never had an alternative unit to the Volt and Amp and therefore Watt like we did with cubic feet vs cubic metres)

Ask your supplier to install a "check meter" before your present meter. This will stay there for a month or two and the readings compared from 0-present on check meter and install date to present on old meter.
They should be the same. If the old meters readings are higher then you have a case!
I would for a metering company.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Spark123: My mum reads the meter every time a bill comes in, so it was last read three months ago. It was accurate then.

rebuke: We're comparing the reading to both the last bill (as the same amount of electricity would have been used due to the same weather conditions, amount of daylight etc.) and the bill from this time last year.

We're saying six months worth because the meter says we've used over 1000 units in 3 months, where we'd usually use around 600; thus meaning it thinks we've used almost six months worth in three. We're not going by monetry cost, just units.

No immersions left on, although it's switched on for about 30 minutes in the morning and then manually turned off again.

No other electrical heating systems.

We can't physically turn everything off due to the plug socket for one of the fridge-freezers being behind the appliance and we can't move it! So the test would be wrong. But we had thought of doing it.

Will look into the power monitor. Is this a similar device to what Newboy1996 has suggested or are you refering to the retail devices that you plug in between the appliance and the wall socket?

wingcox: No, it's an electricity meter, but I know what you're talking about as a Gas engineer told me I was better off with the old meter when I was renting a few years ago!

Newboy1996: Will do!

The main problem we have is the fear that the electric company will insist that we pay for the 1000+ units when we know there's no way we could have used this much electricity. We went to Silverstone on Friday and stayed over that night with my aunt so as a mini test we read the meter before we left and when we got back. We read the meter on Thursday evening at 1134 and it was 16921.75 (I know you don't count the .75, I'm just adding it for accuracy). That was before we went to bed. I read for an hour (energy saving lighbulb in the lamp), left my laptop on (energy star rating) and the Sky box, and both fridge-freezers were on. Forgot to read it Friday morning (rush!) but I turned off the laptop around 7am, leaving only the 2 fridges and the light for my snake on (this is also an energy saving bulb, but a special one for UV.) and the Sky box. Nothing else was on and all items not being used were turned off at the wall. We came home at about 2100 on Saturday evening. Had the TV on for about 2 hours, read for an hour and then bed. Next reading Sunday morning at 1110 (so this equates to a 48 hour period, give or take 25 minutes) was 16941.97. So, according to this reading we used 20 units over 48 hours and had been out for most of that period. Again, the two fridges and the Sky box are always on. The UV light for my snake is on for 8 hours a day.

Now, since we don't have an account of usage within a 48 hour period from before this problem it's difficult to say if this is right or wrong, but it does seem a lot considering we weren't there for most of the time! If the meter says, then, that we're using 10 units a day (for the sake of argument), that means 300 units in an average month and 900 units a quarter. Now, for the period 18th October 2008 to 20th January 2009 we used 931 units. This is usual as it was winter. The next bill for the period 21st January to 21st April we'd used 672 units (actual reading), which is a bit higher than usual but I was refitting the bathroom and used a few power tools so we expected the bill to be higher. The last bill, for 22nd April to 17th July is estimated as using 587 units. That same period last year was 612 units, so that's about right. As I said, nothing in the house has changed other than my new PC (which actually uses less power than the old one) and the fact we're using the immersion for about 30 minutes a day.

This is why we think there's something wrong. There's a discrepancy of over 400 units in this last quater that we cannot account for.

We're going to contact the company for further investigtions. Do any of you have any advice as to how we should go about getting them to look at it before they land us with a massive bill we can't pay?

Cheers,
Ex.

what new electrical goods have you bought over the last 4 months

what has changed over the last 4 months in ypur domestic situation !!!

is there a heater in the snakes tank!!!

do you have any security lights outside!!!

do you have a power supply going outside to a garage/greenhouse/shed!!!

if you turn everything off does the meter stop!!!

Will look into the power monitor. Is this a similar device to what Newboy1996 has suggested or are you refering to the retail devices that you plug in between the appliance and the wall socket?
It's similar, but won't be as accurate. Basically it's a coil that clamps round the live meter tail, and can detect how much current is flowing through it, and therefore work out the usage. There's various makes available and from various places, but an example is http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=225407 - you clamp the grey bit around the live meter tail (one of the thick cables going between your CU and the meter - the live one should in theory either be red or brown, or marked with some red or brown tape - if you use the neutral it will still work, but won't measure any current that might be leaking to earth somewhere), and then the display tells you how much power is being used.

As I said, it won't be as accurate as a check meter, but I suspect (never needed to do it myself so don't know for sure) that if you get them to fit a check meter and it doesn't reveal any problem with the meter, you'll get charged for it...

look at the meter. Observe that it has a wheel spinning round (if old) or a flashing neon (if new). Observe how fast the spinning/flashing are.

Now turn off your main switch. Observe that the spinning or flashing stops.

Now look at your consumer unit (fusebox). Does it have MCBs (with a switch) or fuses?

If MCBs, turn them all off, and observe that the spinning or flashing stops. Then turn on ONE ONLY of the MCBs and observe how fast it starts. Then turn that one off, and turn on the next one. With luck you will find one that has a high load and causes the spinning/flashing to be particularly fast. If you find such a circuit, switch it off (or remove the fuse) and unplug all appliances. If this does not cure it, you have an unexplained load, possibly a fault. If you do not detect a circuit with a heavy load on it, turn off all circuits except the lights and freezer for as long as you can. the load might be occurring at night.

(if you have fuses, take out all the fuses and put them in one at a time BUT you must have the main switch turned off before inserting or removing any fuse)

Is this a single-occupancy house, or a flat, or shared accommodation?

Is the meter in the cellar, or where?

Have you been up in the loft?

You do not mention an electric cooker, a washing machine, tumble-drier or dishwasher. Have you any of these?

I recommend you get a timer for the immersion heater. Then you can be sure no-one forgets to turn it off. Is the hot tap water uncomfortably hot? Sometimes the thermostat fails and they run continuously and overheat. Have you got any dripping hot taps or leaks?

Typical causes would be:
A heating device left on accidentally (electric radiator, heater in loft, shed or garage, immersion or storage heaters)
Lodger using electrical appliance
Teenager or old person using heater even in warm weather
Frequent long showers
Tumble-drier
Person using growing lamps for illegal plants, often in loft
Neighbour stealing your electricity via an illegal cable

It can also be caused by an electrical fault, especially if your wiring is old. Post some pics of your meter, consumer unit, and all the cables around and between them.

edited to correct spelling

I've checked the new PC I built, thinking the PSU might be faulty, but I had it and the monitor on for a hour, just to test, and it used 1kwh of electric (that's with leaving the laptop and two fridge-freezers on too), so it's not that.

Check the fridge and freezer. Even accounting for the PC and laptop, 1 unit per hour is high.

Possible causes:
1. Thermostat wrongly set, or the freezer is set to run continuously ('fast freeze' switch on some older models)
2. Thermostat busted so compressor runs all the time
3. Door seals damaged so cold air leaks out
4. Insulation failure (are there cold spots on the outside with condensation?)
5. Appliance in an enclosed cabinet or under a worktop with no ventilation / the ventialtion has been blocked recently
6. Door left open or jammed with ice etc.

JohnD: Will certainly give that a try. Never thought of switching off at the mains! Currently trying to re-fit the kitchen in order to get a dishwasher in (yes, I'm aware of the irony!) so will probably leave that till tomorrow and post back then.

ban-all-sheds: Ah, well, we only went for the Friday due to limited funds and the bands playing aren't my cup of tea so we deliberately left before Toploader finished! There were loads of people coming in while we were on our way out. Personally I went for the racing but it looks like a lot of people just bought the ticket to see Blue and The Pussycat Dolls (and there's only the one link there; had Lewis been expected to arrive I'd have stayed on the off-chance of an appreance! Lol!) which is beyond my comprehension. Now, if Iron Maiden or Metallica had been there that'd be whole other story! Would have like to see Santana, but we couldn't afford the Saturday ticket. Were they good?

flameport: Well, I thought it was quite high also, hence the concern. I will double check the fidge-freezers just to be on the safe side, but I think they're both OK. How would I check the compressor? Would it make a constant sound?

The fridge compressor will make a noise when running. Normally it should be off a lot longer than it is on.

To check how much power it actually uses, get one of these:

or something similar.
These can be used on any appliance to identify how much power is being used.

Why does the Sky box need to be on permanently?

Why does the Sky box need to be on permanently?

Because we can't physically get behind the TV (it's not flatscreen and extremely heavy!) to turn it off. :LOL: The TV is switched off each night and my DVD/Divx player has a proper off switch.

I've seen those meters before. The socket is behind the fridge so would it work OK if we moved the fridge out (if we can remove enough to enable us to do so) then use an extension lead? This way we won't have to drag it out, push it back, then drag it out again after a week.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back