Meter arcing

Being honest you've probably got the causality the wrong way round.
The tail was probably loose the whole time. The heat at the high resistance joint was probably triggered by the increased energy usage.

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure how relevant dynamite is, if I heat an Olympic swimming pool up by 20c it's probably the same as a million shotgun shells but I don't get destroyed when I dive in!
1kw constantly for an hour is very different from 1kwh in 1 second.
However I do agree that it's likely too much energy for the amount of damage.

However I do agree that it's likely too much energy for the amount of damage.
Indeed - but as has been said a number if times, no matter what the history of that fault and the energy it was 'consuming', it's on the wrong side of the meter to have any effect on metered electricity usage. It therefore seems that the fault and the increased metered usage are 'certainly' unrelated.

Kind Regards, John

Bugger the electric bill, that live coming out of the suppliers cut-out has heated meter tail up all the way back up to the neutral which leaves the meter, which passes behind it, just before it enters the right Henley block.

There's also heat damage on that neutral Henley block.

Exposed live cable where it exits the suppliers cut-out which is very dangerous.

And all of this mounted on some plywood, this is a fire waiting to happen.

You should tell your friend to turn off the main switch in the consumer unit and call the electric board ASAP.

Sponsored Links
Indeed - but as has been said a number if times, no matter what the history of that fault and the energy it was 'consuming', it's on the wrong side of the meter to have any effect on metered electricity usage. It therefore seems that the fault and the increased metered usage are 'certainly' unrelated.
If anything the fault would have reduced the amount used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back