Utility Meter question and

the sample I looked up says ... Electricity Economy 7 rates
Daily Standing charge 18.90p per day
Day rate 19.20p per kWh
Night rate 6.99p per kWh
So 8 weeks (56 days) would have (56 x 18.9p) = £10.584 x 1.05 = £11.11 standing charge in my example
My E7 tariff (E.ON) is currently 16.422p per day standing charge, day rate 17.021p per kWh and night rate 7.172p per kWh (all including VAT). ... so my standing charge would be about £9.20 for 56 days.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
No kettle?
Even if there were a kettle, and given that the other loads we have been told about are essentially negligible, he'd have to have a 3 kW kettle on for best part of 2 hours per day to achieve the reported consumption, even if he worked (and drank tea!) for 7 days a week - which would seem pretty unlikely.

Kind Regards, John

You've not worked with the same crew as me then :LOL:
I suspected that you may say something like that - but 2 hours of 'kettle on' time per day is an awful lot (and, also,probably unlikely to have been overlooked by the OP!) :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
No kettle - very few tea breaks for me. Coffee at lunchtime only.

They have me down as using 19kwh of lecy on the normal meter, but the start read is estimated. So i have entered by own start read (which i gave them) of 41258 and the current read from last week which is 41947. So that = 689 kwh from 18th June until 18th Aug. I have two rates they are charging me: 9.39p and 7.4p. So even if i used the cheapest rate it comes to £51 plus 5% vat.

I am sure there is no feed going to the neighbour. The other semi i own so nothing going on there.

Can anyone answer why they are taking so long to change these meters over to one normal new digital meter ?

(stopped to call previous owner while typing)

I have just spoken to the lady who i bought the house from and she said her dad had the electirc running free for yrs on the economy 7 rate. All that was sorted out yrs ago and she moved in when he died. She has also had loads of problems with them and has a final electric bill of £1181 to pay (which she wont do she says).

So there is a lot more to this story that i realise and need to speak to Npower on tues.

What i need is for them to get these meteres changed over ASAP. I am going to call the ombudesman as well on tues.

The previous owner has said it is a can of worms.

No kettle ... They have me down as using 19kwh of lecy on the normal meter, but the start read is estimated.
That sounds quite credible for 'a radio and a drill'. Why on earth did you not just 'accept' that (I imagine they would never question their estimated reading if you did not raise the issue!)? - your bill would then have been negligible, which is what it should be!
So i have entered by own start read (which i gave them) of 41258 and the current read from last week which is 41947. So that = 689 kwh from 18th June until 18th Aug.
As I've been saying, 689 kWh (over 12 kWh per day) is totally ridiculous in relation to the (essentially 'negligible' usage) you have described. That's why I asked whether you are sure that the previous ('start') reading was correct - if, for example, that middle '2' of your own 'start read' should have been a '7', that would make a very big difference. Can you ask the previous owner what the previous (prior to your 'start reading') documented reading was? In the meantime, you clearly need to keep your eye on (and record) the meter readings on a daily basis.

Kind Regards, John

They have me down as using 19kwh of lecy on the normal meter, but the start read is estimated.
That would seem entirely likely, and the 'estimated' is probably based on what the previous owner gave them when they moved out.

So i have entered by own start read (which i gave them) of 41258 and the current read from last week which is 41947.
I would suggest that your 'start' reading was wrong.

Can anyone answer why they are taking so long to change these meters over to one normal new digital meter ?
Changing a meter just because someone doesn't like the ones they have is the lowest possible priority. It costs the supplier money to change it.
Meters are typically only changed if an existing one is clearly broken, or as part of a scheduled change due to age, or if a different type is required (key meter, E7 or whatever).

If you are with NPower, then change to some other supplier at the first opportunity - they have had massive problems with billing for literally years, many of which are still unresolved.

What i need is for them to get these meteres changed over ASAP. I am going to call the ombudesman as well on tues.
Why - there is no reason for them to be changed, and calling the ombudsman will achieve nothing - they will tell you to complain to the supplier first.

Electricity meters rarely go wrong, and even when they do, a simple test with a kettle or fan heater will confirm whether they are working correctly or not.

As I said, that would essentially be unattainable with just 'a radio and a drill', if that's really all the load there has been.
Tivoli-Audio-Giant-Model-One-BT.jpg

Just re reading this there are a couple of things that don't add up (excluding the bills)

The OP doesn't know what tariff he is on, despite having a bill that would clearly state that information.

The OP talks about meters when as far as I know E7 or E10 would be a dual rate meter.

The Op wants the meters changed but does not say why, at the end of the day the meters belong to the supplier and the type installed is up to them and no one else.

There is talk of the ombudsman, at a stage when all the procedures with the supplier are not exhausted so any complaint in that direction will be thrown back.

I think we are not getting the full story or the OP is a bit unsure of what the situation actually is.

Just re reading this there are a couple of things that don't add up (excluding the bills) ... I think we are not getting the full story or the OP is a bit unsure of what the situation actually is.
Agreed. In terms o what we've been told, there are many things which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back