A fault at the cutout could result in a current of several hundred amps, releasing as much energy every 10-20 seconds as a stick of dynamite.

Sponsored Links
And it is sealed. And its real dangerous if something goes wrong.
Meter guys wear stuff like this, just in case….
full

Although if you have an isolator after the meter, as in that picture, you can turn off the supply there and fit your own meter alongside your consumer unit easily enough,

Do I see correctly - guy working on cutout fuse with CU isolator closed so no guarantee that fuse isn't carrying current

Do I see correctly - guy working on cutout fuse with CU isolator closed so no guarantee that fuse isn't carrying current
That appears to be the case, although I suppose it's possible that the CU Main Switch is open. However, even if it is, I would personally still want to use that isolator!

In passing, I've watched a good few meter changes in my time and, despite what is meant to happen, I'm not sure that I can recall ever having seen any PPE used when the cutout was plastic!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It's probably an actor.

I've see promotional videos where an actor was removing a socket by turning the screws the wrong way.

Some suppliers promote smart meters, first utility among others.

You can buy a OWL unit and set that to the rate and run a side by side check meter v OWL

I have a couple of OWLs, they are not very accurate. They vary but are usually within a few hundred watts of each other. When I turn the kettle on and off the reading changes up and down, by an amount usually within a couple of hundred of 3000W.

You tell them what you think your voltage is, for them to calculate the watts used according to what the sensor thinks is the amps passing through the tails.

My clamp meter is much more accurate, but doesn't store the data.

As I look at them now, one reads 487W and one reads 521 (just changed to 487 and 504)

If you're buying an OWL, get a used CM160 for a few pounds on ebay. It will connect to your PC with a USB and do graphs by minute/hour/day/month/year and record the data. Other models do not have the USB function*

*Although there may be a newer model since I looked.

Owls are not accurate as they only measure current and guess voltage. But the biggest error is assuming power factor is unity which is pretty rare. In my opinion they are not fit for purpose and should not be sold.

How accurate is the Owl, and down to what level?

With a pure resistive load at the voltage it's set to very accurate. With a pure capacitive load the reading is meaningless. With say a 0.5 PF load it will read double.

I've been looking at the instructions for a CM119, and it says "better than 5%" at 3A to 71A (though below 1A to 3A, it said, "better than 10%") and below 1A is not specified.

But it can only mean its measurement in Amps, because it doesn't know true voltage.

It is not a continuous record, I think it gets a pulse at about 30 second intervals.

By observing that my two meters usually show different readings, we can surmise that at least one of them is not very accurate. Each has its own sensor.

10kA is possible, but statistically unlikely, you'll only see it if you are right next door to the transformer.

I can't ever recall seeing it that high in a domestic property.

A 1MVA transformer will have a fault level of ~28KA for a fault involving all three phases (the spanner across the busbars situation). You can more or less halve this where only a single phase is available. A short length of the waveform street feeder will not add much attentuation. However add the 5m of 16mm² concentric under the driveway and into the meter box and we are down to ~8.5Ka.

There are going to be a very small percentage of houses where anywhere near 10kA is going to seen.

Its also bearing in mine that once you start getting much below about a tenth of an ohm, most loop testers are not very accurate, so one might perhaps see 10kA on the display when the real figure could be still reasonably high (say 6ka) but not as high as is being reported

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back