Utility Meter question and

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if old electric meters can be faulty and so produce high bills ? A little more info is needed.

I have a house which i am renovating and have requested that the old meters - normal and economy 10 i think are replaced for just a single digital meter.

The house is being rewired at the moment and the utility company have told me it will be a 3 month wait to have the meters changed as it is a "special" meter change.

I have received my first bill which is from June (8 weeks worth of lecy). The normal meter is billing out at £60 which is very high considering i am using a radio and drill in the day there only - no nighttime use.

The economy 7 or 10 meter has billed me for £53 but is not being used. There are no storage units in the house so i dont understand why this meter is clocking up units.

Does anyone have any knowledge about this issue ?

Sponsored Links
First obvious question, "is it an actual bill based on units used or an estimated bill?"

All electrics have been ripped out of this house though, apart from a single socket next to the fuse board. All new cabling is in. We just need to put new board in and fix on the faceplates.

As to the bill. I see the economy 10 is estimated, but the normal meter was read this week and so that is correct.

So i think the economy 10 bill bit is hopefully going to be £0 when i check on tues, but i still dont understand why i am paying £60 for 8 weeks worth of lecy. That would be £7.50 in a prepayment meter which i am used to on renovation jobs and i normally spend £1.50 including the meter charge of £1.25

Sponsored Links
As to the bill. I see the economy 10 is estimated, but the normal meter was read this week and so that is correct. ...
So i think the economy 10 bill bit is hopefully going to be £0 when i check on tues, but i still dont understand why i am paying £60 for 8 weeks worth of lecy.
I suppose the next 'obvious question' is whether there were actual (and correct!) readings taken 8 weeks ago, which I assume is when you became responsible for the electricity?

Kind Regards, John

Yes the readings taken when i got the keys were correct.
Fair enough. I obviously don't know how much (if any) of the £60 represents a 'standing charge', but, whatever, if it really is true that you have only used 'a radio and a drill' that charge would obviously be ridiculous for 8 weeks.

Kind Regards, John

are you going to tell us how many kWh you have been charged for?

are you going to tell us how many kWh you have been charged for?
Very good question. Whilst awaiting the answer, we can guesstimate. If the OP has a dual tariff (E10), he's probably paying around 16p or so per kWh for 'peak' electricity. Hence if one ignores any standing charges, his £60 equates to about 360 kWh - about 6.4 kWh per day over 8 weeks (or about 9 kWh if one considers 5-day weeks). As I said, that would essentially be unattainable with just 'a radio and a drill', if that's really all the load there has been.

Kind Regards, John

if he really has a peak and an off-peak tariff, I think there will be two standing charges (but am not familiar with it)

EDIT

nope, just 1 standing charge probably.

the sample I looked up says

Electricity Economy 7 rates
Daily Standing charge 18.90p per day
Day rate 19.20p per kWh
Night rate 6.99p per kWh

So 8 weeks (56 days) would have (56 x 18.9p) = £10.584 x 1.05 = £11.11 standing charge in my example

No kettle?
Take a reading, switch all power off overnight and then the next day take a reading and compare the two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back