faulty meter

Hi everyone,

This might be a bit of a numpty suggeestion but are you sure you haven't got a leak to earth?

I would stick each circuit on the rcd side of the CU one by one and check?!?

Lorraine

Sponsored Links
Stick some load on :evil:

Leakage to earth is always a real possibility - And I have seen it several times, usually on a TT system with nackered RCD.

Even with a EFL through the rod and parallel paths of 10ohm (great reading for a TT) would allow a fault current of only 23amp to flow - enough to create a substantially noticeable reading difference, and also low enough to go un-noticed, especially if the DB is a good old 3036!

Rather than swapping ccts to rcd etc, if you have one, clamp the live and neutral - they should be equal - clamp them both at once, and you should see a reading of zero.

lorraine said:
Hi everyone,

This might be a bit of a numpty suggeestion but are you sure you haven't got a leak to earth?

I would stick each circuit on the rcd side of the CU one by one and check?!?

Lorraine

im gonna wait a few hours with the extra meter. ATM both are reading the exact same amount of power. i was thinkin last night it could be an earth leak. house was re-wired a few years ago by council and TBH, its bit of a mess so faults wouldnt surprise me

also, i seem to have a TNS-TNCS system... (earth comes from neutral block to MET and another from sheath to MET) is this allowed?!

i have a clamp meter. last night when doin some tests there was 2.3A flowing. for what was on, this seemed normal

In some areas, where the lead sheather/paper insulated cables are breaking down, the TN-S earth is unreliable - they then convert the services to PME, but also keep the connection to the sheath to ensure the sheath remains well earthed. If it wasn't used - you would probably need to main equipotentially bond to it, with permission, anyway!

Sponsored Links
The more laod you can introduce, the better.

A faulty meter, or a fault will be more likely to show up.

Lectrician said:
In some areas, where the lead sheather/paper insulated cables are breaking down, the TN-S earth is unreliable - they then convert the services to PME, but also keep the connection to the sheath to ensure the sheath remains well earthed. If it wasn't used - you would probably need to main equipotentially bond to it, with permission, anyway!

it is a lead sheathed cable. it looks as tho the TNCS neutral was added later so that would explain it

have put the clamp meter round. 2A live, 2A neutral, 0A on both, 0A on main earth

Lectrician said:
The more laod you can introduce, the better.

A faulty meter, or a fault will be more likely to show up.

i think ill put the shower and cooker on full later.... and hope i dont blow the 40A service fuse...

andrew2022 said:
i think ill put the shower and cooker on full later.... and hope i dont blow the 40A service fuse...

Forum betting time...my money is on about 23 mins

Adam_151 said:
andrew2022 said:

Forum betting time...my money is on about 23 mins

i did try it, but total load went to 62A... so i turned some off so it was 45A... cant be arsed goin thru the hassle of gettin DNO to change the fuse etc etc since i dont have any spare i could put in

so far its lookin like the meter is actually OK. its still reading the exact same units used as the other meter. clamp meter reads 0 on earth and is reading the same for live and neutral... altho if meter continues to read the same il test all the installation properly

clamp meter reads 0 on earth

that doesn't negate an earth leak - they may be an alternative path to earth than through whichever earth connection you're clamping.

and is reading the same for live and neutral

although this does negate an earth leak.

Hi Everyone

On the subject of fuses

my meter (well the bit before it) actually had 2 service fuses, both 60A each. WHen I changed the Consumer unit i pulled both of them out just to be safe but I thought they were only supposed to be on the live (phase)?

Lorraine

Lorraine

Maybe you should post this question as a new thread topic as you have a better chance of a decent reply that way. It can also come across as hijacking the current thread. It is called a service head by the way.

It may have been a neutral link - a solid copper bar in place of the fuse.

quick update:

both meter are recording the exact same power used, so the meter seems OK ATM. next thing to do it test proply for an earth leak

and lorraine - the 2nd fuse could be either a solid link (no fuse), fused neutral (old) or possibly the fuse for a neighbours house if built semi-detached/flat. not the first time ive seen that happen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back