Scottish Power - fixated with meter chaning?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just after some info/thoughts....

Mum lives in an apartment, it is one of 10. Recently her supplier Scottish power informed her that her meter was past its best and needed changing
(urgently she was told)

This was done.

Bills have since crept up, they are constantly trying to increase her direct debit.

because she was so worried about affording her bill we went round and checked her readings.
First point of note was that hers was the only new meter in the communal cubbie hole - all the rest were older meters (older than ours even)
Second point - when challenged with readings they admitted that not only was she £200 in credit but that her direct debit should have been lowered

Now we live in the same town - Scottish power are now hassling us to change both electric and gas meters - again urgently!

Both our meters are very modern style meters...

whats going on?????

.........any clues or info???

Sponsored Links
Recently her supplier Scottish power informed her that her meter was past its best and needed changing
(urgently she was told)

Electric meters have a "certification life", they can be checked and re certified but in the end, the meter will have to be swapped out. I cant say about the urgent part, did she just have a annual inspection?. The other reason for a swap is a "Meter Operator" change, has she just changed suppliers. If SSE are the meter operator and the MOP, they would want there own meter on the wall to reduce their costs.

Bills have since crept up, they are constantly trying to increase her direct debit.

because she was so worried about affording her bill we went round and checked her readings.
First point of note was that hers was the only new meter in the communal cubbie hole - all the rest were older meters (older than ours even)
Second point - when challenged with readings they admitted that not only was she £200 in credit but that her direct debit should have been lowered

It sounds like she has been getting estimated bill and that is why the direct debit has crept up. This could be down to the meter has just been swapped and the meter reader does not have it on his rounds yet, unable to gain access or a cock up at SSE. Check her bills and if they are estimated either complain or every month enter the reading on the SSE website. If they are not estimated, contact SSE and ask for an answer as to why.

Electric meters have a "certification life", they can be checked and re certified but in the end, the meter will have to be swapped out. I cant say about the urgent part, did she just have a annual inspection?. The other reason for a swap is a "Meter Operator" change, has she just changed suppliers. If SSE are the meter operator and the MOP, they would want there own meter on the wall to reduce their costs.

Yes I understand that but she is the only new meter in the building

It sounds like she has been getting estimated bill and that is why the direct debit has crept up. This could be down to the meter has just been swapped and the meter reader does not have it on his rounds yet, unable to gain access or a cock up at SSE. Check her bills and if they are estimated either complain or every month enter the reading on the SSE website. If they are not estimated, contact SSE and ask for an answer as to why.

Nope not estimated at all - they just seemed to pluck a future "usage" out of thin air and wanted to charge accordingly - her annual consumption has remained remarkably constant for over 5 years

Yes I understand that but she is the only new meter in the building

Just because the meter has "The Property Of SSE" on the front of it, does not mean that they are responsible for it. I have been in hundreds of meter rooms and have seen a multitude of different meter operators.

If the direct debit has been adjusted without cause, you have cause to complain to OFGEM

http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Pages/OfgemHome.aspx

I would try to talk to SSE first though.

Sponsored Links
No - meters in our house and mums have no identifying marks "ownership wise"

I accept that a meter MAY have a "finite life"

BUT................

in mums property all the meters are in the same cubby hole - all 10 of them.

9 of them are seriously old - apart from mums

Ours are quite new

............yet still need "urgent replacement"

my question revolves around a potential "hidden agenda"

SO........... anymore comments????????????

No - meters in our house and mums have no identifying marks "ownership wise"

All setelment meters have to carry he asset owners name, its in "The Utilitys Act 2000"

in mums property all the meters are in the same cubby hole - all 10 of them.

As i have said, just because there are 10 mmeters in the same location, it does not mean that the same Meter Operator or supply company is resonsible for them all. 2 weeks ago, i was in a retirment home and in the metering room, there were 87 meters. The tenants were free to chose who they bought there electric from and there were 8 styles different meters. I was replacing 5 of them, all to 1 MOP but 2 different supliers.

9 of them are seriously old

How do you know how old they are? Are you basing it on the fact that they are |"wheel Meters"?

If SSE are the meter operator and the MOP, they would want there own meter on the wall to reduce their costs

What do you think that is?

Well I was hoping someone here would give me a clue!

I accept I cannot give you more info now. But if it would help I can go back and do so later.

The meters in the cubbie are all as old as the building except hers which is a very small white digital one.

my meter (electric) is very similar and I suspect is 10-12 years old

my gas meter is a mustard yellow one and will be of a similar age

This guess is purely down to the fact that the property was totally overhauled then

Well I was hoping someone here would give me a clue!
crystal_ball.jpg

Blimey Ban...........

you sure kill a thread "dead"!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks! (I think :confused: :confused: :confused: )

any more thoughts or am I turning into Victor Meldrew???????????????????

To be fair, I can agree with you for lots of B-A-S's posts.

But not this time - I have no clue what you're trying to ask or insinuate in this thread. You seem to think that SSE are making a concerted effort to con your mum? And just your mum?

Is that it?

It could be just a mistake.

I have an acquaintance who is being asked to increase his monthly direct debit even though he is in credit.

No sorry you guys misunderstand....

why is Scottish power SUDDENLY fixated with paying out for new meters when no other company seems interested. (or at least 2 sets of customers in the same town)

I wondered if it was some "master plan" to collect more dosh

I also wonder what would happen if you refused to let them change the meter..... after all we could move providers!

someone mentioned I was a bit paranoid.... Yes maybe but the way the world is going :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back