Faulty Electric Meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdo folks.

A female friend of mine has a card electric meter fitted inside a house she bought over a year ago. It now transpires that the meter is faulty and hasn't been charging enough credit.

It is her first home and it has never occured to her that she might not be paying enough towards her electricity. Anyway NPower have now suddenly realised that the meter is broken and have contacted her to tell her that she needs to have a new card meter fitted.

I have advised her that it may be cheaper in the long run if she requests that the meter is removed completely so that she combines her electric and gas into one bill and have both supplied from NPower. I believe that if she does this then she may be entitled to the discounts they usually offer for this?

Anyway, she has been told by NPower that she owes them money because their meter hasn't been taking enough credit and they have now told her that once the new meter has been fitted they will monitor her usage over the period of one month and from this calculate the money owed for the last 12 months+. She will then have to repay this owed amount in monthly installments.

Is this right? I am under the impression that the maintenance of the electric meter is the responsibility of the electricity provider and therefore she is not at fault?
I have since been told by a friend of mine that she should dispute the extra charges because they (NPower) should have spotted and rectified the fault sooner. He advises that she should perhaps seek advice from the Citizens Advice.

I suspect that NPower may take this opportunity to think up any figure they want, which in my mind seems a little unfair.

As far as I am aware she has only been paying bare minimum charges because the meter is knackered (something like £1 a week).

Does anybody on here know whether or not she would have a leg to stand if she were to dispute these extra (Owed) charges?

Thanks in advance. ;)

Sponsored Links
I would be asking 'on what basis are they calculating what she owes' if its a figure taken from experience then she should have a very good case for geting them to waive the debt. I sounds to me like the opening salvo in a 'recoup our losses' campaign. Definitely contact CAB. If I sold you an item and then asked for more because I had underchaged, how far do you think I would get?

Thats what I thought really. I can't see how they can come up with any old figure (which potentially they could) and then demand that she pay it.

I've told her to get in touch with the CAB anyway and see what they say.

Thanks for the reply

Sponsored Links
One the one hand she's paid almost feck all for towards her electricity for the last 12 months so I can sort of understand why NPower would want to try and bill her for this.

But on the other hand can they really guess a figure and enforce it without being able to prove exactly what has been used over this period of time? Although she now suspects there was something wrong, she is playing the dumb-ass customer at the moment until they get back to her with a solution.

Personally, I'd tell them to prove exactly what power has been used but I aren't too sure about the legal side of things.

Could she move out of her house for the month they monitor her real usage? ;) :LOL:

And it is totally their fault. It took them a year to realise the meter was faulty . . .

However, i must say, if i was only paying £1 a week (12KWh worth?), i would be slightly dubious over the accuracy of the meter and would probably start taking daily readings off the meter - i wouldn't want to risk a huge bill if the electric co found out!

Surely its comon sense that one uses more than 12KWh of electric a week??? Even if you live by yourself, in fact, i think my fridge freezer uses more than that itself!!!! Some people come into my shop every day and buy a £5 electric token. EVERY DAY! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It surely doesn't matter whether you realise it is an error or not?

What if you are an elderly customer with no idea? Would you be expected to realise then?

I believe the onus is on them. Having said that, how have npower suddenly "realised" the meter is broken? With a card meter, they don't monitor usage, do they?

what ever happens key card or coin meter users pay through the nose they pay more for there power than a normal meter
plus you get a discount for duel fuel a discount for d/d payments a discount for internet accounts [powergen and scottish gas]

the problem is you need a good record or a deposit usualy before you can come off a pay meter

i recon she could easily save 30% of the bill by going duel fuel d/d with the cheapest supplier
but not whilst the account is disputed and without a track record

http://www.uswitch.com/?ref=gotoast~goog~u-switch&gclid=CJGC7oabo4QCFQfFEAodcR8ohA

try and agree an amount ,offer to set up a direct debit,and they may even allow you to go duel fuel and save a fortune

Thanks for the replies.

NPower sent an engineer out yesterday afternoon who changed the meter over for an identical one. I went over last night and changed most of her lightbulbs over for energy saving bulbs. The house is empty for most of the day and Ive told her to keep an eye on what power she uses. From yesterday dinnertime to this morning she has used 52p so I suppose if we assume that she uses about a £1 a day then she'll only owe around £350 or so anyway over the twelve month period? Suppose we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with.

I do know that she would like to get rid of the meter altogether and pay her bill quarterly by direct debit and if what Big-all says is true then I suppose she'll just have to be nice to them for a while.

Thanks again :)

JohnD said:
Take the fuse out of the tumble-drier

tumble only uses about 35p in a 90min cycle if the tumble uses a constant 3kw per/hr with a 12min cool time at the end

and if the temperature is controled to a max the consuption would reduce as the clothes get dryer and maybe only use 3 units or approx 25p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back