Two meters.. ??

I'm thinking it's the remnants of a very old dual tariff supply that has since been converted to single tariff, but the dual meter arrangement has persisted. Whatever the case, it needs to be investigated, if only to eliminate the (admittedly remote) possibility that she might be unknowingly paying someone else's electricity bill.
All possible. Indeed, as flameport has said, it's not totally impossible that the tariff she's on genuinely needs the two meters and three readings - but I very much doubt that.

Whatever, as I've said, I'm not sure that discussion/speculation about the meters is going to be all that useful. The situation is, at the least, confused/confusing, and would be even to someone who is not an "old granny" - so I do think that the need is to attempt to have a conversation with someone sensible at the supplier, ideally with one armed with at least some information about the history of payments and meter readings.

Basically, unless (as flameport has said) the hike in DD is to recover debts on the account, then any sane person ought to understand and agree that an electricity charge of £485 per month for an elderly woman who "..is on her own and basically stays in the lounge" is clearly ridiculous, no matter what the reason that has happened.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Basically, unless (as flameport has said) the hike in DD is to recover debts on the account, then any sane person ought to understand and agree that an electricity charge of £485 per month for an elderly woman who "..is on her own and basically stays in the lounge" is clearly ridiculous, no matter what the reason that has happened.
I would agree with that, I have quite a large house, and due to having solar I can easy see my months usage, total not what I have imported, which is around the 400 kWh mark, at 38p a kWh that equals £152 plus the standing charge. But I do not use electric to heat with.

The heating went on for the first time this season yesterday, but I know it is common to spread out the cost, so a standing charge is based on an average, we thought on moving here our bills would go up, but it didn't, but that was mainly because we had over paid in the last house, and we did in the end get a large sum back where we had over paid.

The reverse could as @flameport points out also be true, and one can end up under paying for years as well. As to how much it costs to heat with electric I don't know, never tried it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back