Smart socket lost contact

Sponsored Links
To be honest occasional drop out is not a huge issue, as long as it automatically reconnects.

I had a very surprising reverse issue- device retained its programming even when deliberately disconnected from WiFi (by distance of 100 miles or so).
Details- it's not a smart socket but a Sonoff smart relay controlled by their pet app EweLink. There's a manual override button as well, this can change relay state to off or on and state change shows in the app. I programmed the relay (via EweLink) to switch on once a day then switch off an hour later - this to keep the leisure battery topped up in the caravan while it's in the back garden. This works fine.
Trip to Scotland-130 miles away. There is site power but most of the caravan lights run on the leisure battery so by day 2 it's looking a bit low. Press the manual override (expecting the thing to stay on til I turn it off again)- nope, it switches itself off after an hour as programmed. Didn't check to see if it switched itself on at the scheduled time.... I was surprised and quite impressed, I'd assumed since it was a cheapie it would go dumb without a network connection.

Sponsored Links
I had a very surprising reverse issue- device retained its programming even when deliberately disconnected from WiFi (by distance of 100 miles or so).
Details- it's not a smart socket but a Sonoff smart relay controlled by their pet app EweLink. There's a manual override button as well, this can change relay state to off or on and state change shows in the app. I programmed the relay (via EweLink) to switch on once a day then switch off an hour later - this to keep the leisure battery topped up in the caravan while it's in the back garden. This works fine.

That is something I had a mind to do. I do it manually at the moment. I leave it on mains 24/7 around the year, so 12v is always available - but only make the connection to the lug on the battery for two days per month.

Trip to Scotland-130 miles away. There is site power but most of the caravan lights run on the leisure battery so by day 2 it's looking a bit low. Press the manual override (expecting the thing to stay on til I turn it off again)- nope, it switches itself off after an hour as programmed. Didn't check to see if it switched itself on at the scheduled time.... I was surprised and quite impressed, I'd assumed since it was a cheapie it would go dumb without a network connection.

I would question that - a Smart Plug isn't that clever. It must have had some sort of connection to the Internet, maybe via your phones hotspot?

That is something I had a mind to do. I do it manually at the moment. I leave it on mains 24/7 around the year, so 12v is always available - but only make the connection to the lug on the battery for two days per month.

I would question that - a Smart Plug isn't that clever. It must have had some sort of connection to the Internet, maybe via your phones hotspot?
Fair point- I need to investigate further. Pretty certain back then the phone hotspot was different name etc to home WiFi (I've changed that now so using lappie, iPad etc as well as IoT gadgets on the road is v easy).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back