BG devices (smart sockets)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 questions ....
# Considered opinion of BG manufactured SMART sockets ? ... they any good, as good as any other ?

#2 They use a BG app on the phone not SmartLife App, any reason not to go this route ? Ultimately assume I will connect up to Alexa, but just need App on/off to start

I had an unknown brand SMART socket, but with no manufacturer details, and the seller unable to support it... may return it as VERY difficult to set up

The BG ones are well priced at ScrewFix and ToolStation

Sponsored Links
I have not tried them, I went for Energenie MiHome as my son had sung the praises of Nest, and Energenie were claimed to work with Nest, it seems this was removed when Google took over Nest, but the same hub worked light switches, sockets, TRV, etc.

I was disappointed with Energenie, have taken 3 light, switches out of service, and one double socket, still have a load still working, but not as good as hoped.

I did in early days use IFTTT and it seems the BG sockets can also use it, but I think it is no longer free.

I have moved over to plug in devices in the main, so I can easy unplug if they become faulty, I mainly use zigbee which needs a hub, but some do work direct, and use the same SmartLife app with the phone, however unlike the Energenie they do not work well with the PC.

The Energenie sockets were bought to power an extruder alarm, so we knew when Mother had gone wheel about, to start with they worked well, but only had three slots to time with, so when needed four slots had to use IFTTT.

But the zigbee items show when switched on or off, with the exception of the energy monitor the Energenie did not show if on or off. Different button for on and off so could press the button a number of times, but the button turning green when on as with zigbee is far better.

Also zigbee allows count down, which is better.

But the Energenie had cheap remote controls, I have one for zigbee, came with a three lamp set, but would not work with my relay, and being able to use a simple remote control is some times better than needing to have your phone with you.

But as I moved to voice control with Nest Mini's the need for a remote was removed. But google home like Smartlife needs bluestacks to work on a PC. And bluestacks takes ages to load on my PC. Plus not found the google "Home" app.

I will monitor this thread, as would also like to know how good BG is.

I have just one BG double socket. It's about a year old, and it still works. It's annoying that it uses a different app than others, but maybe there is an app which will work with this device and others - I certainly don't have time to go seeking it/them out.

I tried to use IFTTT once or twice, and I couldn't get it to work as I'd wanted, and what I wanted was something like 'IF the weather is due to be sunny for more than 4 hours tomorrow THEN don't heat the hot water beyond 40C'....it seems either it couldn't cope with multiple conditional commands, or I couldn't formulate my requirements in a way it could understand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back