Smart Speaker/Voice Assistant Phone Call capability in the UK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if anyone has used any Google or Amazon based devices (Echo Dot, Google Nest speaker or display) to make and receive phone calls. This isn't for me, but the person it's for would like to make and receive calls to UK mobiles and Landlines using for instance the "Hey Google" command. I know that the Google Voice service was running in the UK a few years ago, but I think they scrapped it.

I've Google search the carp out of this but haven't found a definitive answer. I've see it working in Youtube videos in the US, but nothing in the UK. I'm thinking that if you're making a call to either Landline or mobile, there must be a charge incorporated somewhere in the process in the UK, but if anyone knows, it would give me a head start . This is for an elderly visually impaired person.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Last time I tried to set this up Google has to use its own Google Duo app for calls and anyone receiving calls has to also have Google Duo which makes it pretty useless .Just to confuse thing google duo is now “google meet “

Thanks Foxhole, that might be useful in my search. I just find it funny that with all the tech available, there doesn't seem to be a quick go-to fix for this. Yes, we've all got Star Trek communicators in our pockets, but it seems HAL hasn't arrived for your average Joe yet.

It does seem to work here, using Alexa - we just tried it on the Fire cube. Avril instructed Alexa to ring her mobile phone, it rang, she answered it, she spoke to her phone, her voice came out of the cube, then lots of feedback.

Sponsored Links
Wow, brilliant thanks Harry. I would be really interested in what number called her, i.e. if it was an Amazon assigned number or if it was number that was assigned to the device (the cube) when it was configured. I'm just trying out find how you get a device to do this trick. Not sure if I need to obtain a number just for the device, whether the device takes a SIM to give it a number, whether I need to obtain a SIP number form a SIP provider etc.

OK sounds like it might be an Amazon derived number then. I'm getting the impression that there is some cleverness going on in the background where it does the call via Amazon servers via a number they assign temporarily or something. I'll dig deeper and report back if I can. Cheers Harry :- )

Following this, sounds interesting.
Just imagine the possibilities, ones ancient relative can use an alexa to call for help from on the floor after a fall etc.

Do let us know how you go on.

edit: Does Amazon charge for the phone call from the US to your Amazon account?

Following this, sounds interesting.
Just imagine the possibilities, ones ancient relative can use an alexa to call for help from on the floor after a fall etc.

Do let us know how you go on.

edit: Does Amazon charge for the phone call from the US to your Amazon account?

Yep, Alexa could do that, or ring the police, ambulance, fire for you. I have it doing lots more, including remind us to put bins out, and which colour, to take my tablets, put my caravan's battery on and off charge, every two months. When cooking, it times the cooking of the various items, switches the drive light on at dusk off at 11pm. Turns the electric blanket on, when instructed. At the moment, it's also switching Christmas lighting on and off, as well. I even use Alexa, to time the 4min brewing of my coffee, in my French press.

We can control these things from anywhere, with a smart phone.

No, no charges for anything at all, including the calls. You buy the Amazon fire gadget, with speaker and mic, and connect it to the Internet, plus any smart plugs/switches you might need.

Last edited:
Just checked back on this post. Matty, absolutely it seems very useful for an elderly person if set up right. Careline365/panic button type subscription boxes have great microphones, but I think I remember the average Echo device have 8 cunningly processed mics, so they can hear anything almost. Thinking this could work well to hear a call for help.

Harry, thank you so much for all the detail. I’m thinking of getting an older Android phone (up to android vers:cool: and using a Giffgaff SIM for the phone and number. I’m presuming that all you need the phone for is to set the Echo/Fire Cube or whatever, share the contacts of the phone and away you go. I’ll give a go and see how it goes when I have time.

Harry, thank you so much for all the detail. I’m thinking of getting an older Android phone (up to android vers:cool: and using a Giffgaff SIM for the phone and number. I’m presuming that all you need the phone for is to set the Echo/Fire Cube or whatever, share the contacts of the phone and away you go. I’ll give a go and see how it goes when I have time.

I am still finding my way around Alexa, despite how long I have had it, I would not describe myself as an authority on it because it's such a vast subject - I am just aware of the few things I have managed to set up on it.

Sponsored Links
Back