BT 'Digital' phone lines halted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
BT has announced it will put its digital landline rollout on hold following backlash from some customers. It says it will work on the underlying technology to be make it more resilient.

BT, among other telecoms companies, had pledged to equip all homes with digital voice-over-internet phones by 2025 as part of a much needed update to the UK’s communication infrastructure.

The controversial rollout, which saw copper landlines removed in favour of fibre-optic cables, have resulted in some customers being unable to call 999 when their power has gone out as a result of storms cutting off their internet access.

BT’s chief executive of consumer brands Marc Allera apologised and said the firm had “underestimated the disruptive impact this upgrade would have.” He added that “in hindsight” the company had rolled the technology out “too early”.

Allera added that the disruption caused by recent Storms Arwen and Eunice brought these issues into sharper focus when people – including many of its customers in rural areas – needed to get in touch with loved ones during power outages. “We got this part of our programme wrong and for that, we’re sorry,” he said.

Some two million customers have already had their landlines removed to make way for the new systems, with around 160,000 forced to make the switch on average each month since the rollout started in April last year.

According to reports from the Telegraph, elderly users of health alarms faced being unable to call for help in an emergency if they fell or had a stroke, as many older systems still use landline technology to send alerts to monitoring stations. Many older burglar alarms will also cease to function once old lines are switched off, it has emerged.

BT said the postponement of its ‘Digital Voice’ service will last until it resolves such issues. It also said that no customer will have their landline turned off before then unless they specifically asked to be moved onto the digital system.

Dame Esther Rantzen, founder of the charity The Silver Line, welcomed the news, saying it had been “a devastating time for people who depend on their landline phones as a real lifeline.”

BT confirmed it would ultimately still press ahead with the rollout, saying the 40-year-old public switch network was becoming obsolete and less reliable. It said its planned fibre-optic alternative promises “crystal clear calls” and greater energy efficiency which would be “better for the environment.”

The firm said it intends to improve the resilience of the new network by working with energy providers on fast restoration after power cuts. It will also work on solutions such as hybrid phones that can switch to mobile networks if there is a loss in internet connection, and longer lasting backup battery units.

Allera added: “Many other countries are doing the same and experiencing the same challenges. With a programme of this sale, sometimes we don’t always get everything right and on this occasion, we acknowledge we have more work to do and will get on with putting these solutions in place to better help our customers go through this change.”

BT has said it hopes to resume the rollout by the end of the year.

Sponsored Links
we have the same issue at work.

we have POT emergency lines as there's a few risky areas and late night working but the employer stopped all POT lines in favour of each person using their desktop computer as the phone.
However things like the POT emergency lines now don't work and you have to sign in on the computer to dial out.
eventually we managed to get two emergency phones connected to the IT network but if there's a power cut we are stuffed.

I switched to BT for FTTP.

When I ordered, it was agreed I would keep the copper line, but after installation, I discovered the copper line was disconnected and the line had been assigned a different number.

I was perplexed as the phone socket on the back of the SmartHub didn't seem to be working either.

Eventually, we got a dial tone via the router.

One thing Digital Voice features is the ability to make a second call while someone else is on the line, which is quite handy.

I'm thinking of designing a battery back-up that will run the router when power fails. I'm sure these will become standard issue in time when the full roll out of VOIP is underway.

Some routers are a 12v supply in which case you can use a 12v alarm psu and battery ….or a computer ups

Sponsored Links
It's all very well for BT to say that they are delaying the switchover to VOIP, but Openreach have committed to finishing it by 2025.
All the other Openreach ISPs have said they will do so by that date, and they will be complaining if BT are given an exemption.

It's all very well to have a UPS on your router/modem but the road cabinet may just as easily go down in a power cut

That’s true but there’s nothing you can do about that ….unfortunately the powers that be, assume everybody has a mobile

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back