Smart / Switchable Glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've only found one posting on here to do with the subject and that was more to do with 'radiator' glass so I've started a new topic.

I've built an ensuite in the front bedroom. I don't want it to be obvious from the outside. One of the best solutions I've come across is this thing call 'switchable' glass. Featured on Grand Designs a while back.

The glass will site flush on the inside wall, acting as secondary glazing. This is so the water from the shower will not collect on the window sill.

The pane has to be removable, not openable. I can slide the pane out.

I expect it's going to cost a small fortune so it will be out of the question, however if the 1480 x 1120 pane comes in at no more than £400 I think it will be worth it as it would be such a neat solution.

I've found five suppliers and asked for supply only quotes.

If anyone has had any dealings with this material, I have a few questions:

* What IP rating is it. i.e. can it be used in a wet room (Zone 1)
* Can it be included in a lighting circuit, (10 amps). i.e Turn off the lights, the glass clears?
* How does it work at night with a light on in the room?
* Is it a film that can be 'stuck' on to any glass?

Any insights, stay clears (no pun intended) or alternatives (not bricks as someone on one forum suggested!) would be very welcome.

Many thanks

Woter

Sponsored Links
My dreams have been shattered.

Just been quoted £1,092 + VAT for the glass and £135.72 for a transformer.

Here are this manufacturers answers:

1. I do not know the IP rating. These are sealed units meant for external use. No guarantee can be given in a wet room area.

2. They need to be individually fed. We do not recommend mixing with other circuitry.

3. In its natural state the film is opaque. It requires to be powered to change to clear. As soon at the power is stopped the film reverts back to opaque.

4. At night with a light on in a room it reflects the light back into the room in its off state. The only image viewable from outside would be if you were up close (tight to the glass unit).

5. The units are available in two thicknesses 24mm or 28mm.

This is the link to this particular product. [url]http://www.duration.co.uk/switchableglass.asp [/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back