Cutting a hole in a glass door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This is my first post on here for a rather specific question with regards to installing a cat flap into the bottom of an external glass door. The door is metal framed with 2 panes of glass at the top and bottom, both coated in satin I believe.

Does anyone know if its possible to cut a hole in the lower pane of glass with a diamond blade hand held circular saw (or any other tool) whilst still leaving the glass in the door structurally sound and safe and strong.

The alternative is to pay for a new pane which a glazer can cut into but this is looking like being an expensive option so we are looking at alternatives

Many thanks in advance.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd get the glass cut by a pro. Fitting it will be a lot easier than messing about trying to cut it in situ. Plus the door should have safety glass (toughened or laminated) fitted now, although if the door is old it may not be at present.

Yes, you have to determine first the type of glass you have, if it's toughened, then the simple answer is you can't cut a hole in it.

It's even less likely if the glass is aged......I'd get a new pane cut, together with the hole you require.
John :)

Sponsored Links
You MUST have toughened or laminated glass in your door. Think of the consequences especially if you are weakening the integrity of an old pane of glass which may not be safety glass.

Yes it may be expensive to change but is it worth the risk if you don't? :confused:

Thanks for all of the replies, unanimously against the cutting idea. I am actually in favour of getting a professional in to do the work but my dad and wife want to consider cheaper options, and this has confirmed what other research had suggested.

In short as you all say, its not worth the risk of having a massively unsafe piece of glass in the door.

Thanks all.

Thanks for all of the replies, unanimously against the cutting idea. I am actually in favour of getting a professional in to do the work but my dad and wife want to consider cheaper options, and this has confirmed what other research had suggested.

In short as you all say, its not worth the risk of having a massively unsafe piece of glass in the door.

Thanks all.

Well if its not already toughened glass, cutting a hole in it doesn't make it intrinsically unsafer (but yes it should be toughened for reasons already stated) but if it is toughened glass then you are screwed. No one, amateur or pro can cut that, you'll end up with a load of cubes on the floor!

Could you pop the glass out and replace it with a bit of plywood? Easy to cut, nice and strong and will take paint. You can keep the glass to pop back in later if required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back