Smoke Alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I need to install some smoke alarms to my accenta G4.
I use texecom PIR's for there look at work well with the high ceilings.

What smoke alarm do you recommend to connect and use zone 7 and 8?
I also have an open fire and wondered if there is a specific cardon monoxide sensor so I can loose the loose one I have.
I know some of the wireless ones have it.

Any advise...

Cheers all

Sponsored Links
menvier m12 smoke detector, you have the options for heat/ smoke or both in one unit depending on setting also texecom smoke but they not as flexible.

I use texecom PIR's for there look at work well with the high ceilings.

how can you compare smokes and pir's?

What smoke alarm do you recommend to connect and use zone 7 and 8?
I also have an open fire and wondered if there is a specific cardon monoxide sensor so I can loose the loose one I have.
I know some of the wireless ones have it.

Any advise...

Cheers all

Please please make sure you can hear the alarm from where you sleep. Too many people install these relying on the remote keypad sounders and external sounder to wake them. Get a quad sound bomb and stick it somewhere where you'll hear it. If you can power it from an output for fire so you know when a smoke has activated that's even better.

EDIT: looks like there's a fire output, so a relay along with this and you've got a custom output that'll alert you when the smokes activate

Sponsored Links
Hi there
thank for your concern i have a internal sounder right outside my bedroom door that wakes me everytime it goes off.

i have fireplaces in my house that i use, wont they affect the optical fire sensors as they will detect high heat or do they compensate for that.

Also does the M12 detect carbon manoxide so i can loose the cheap one they supplied when they fire was installed?
thank you

The M12 is selectable, heat, optical etc. If you google a manual, i'm sure it's all in there.

If there's a combination of heat and smoke, i doubt it'll just alarm on heat alone.

The M12 doesn't do CO, and i don't know of many 12v detectors that do. If you didn't know, CO is caused by incomplete combustion, so it can only poison you when the appliance is used. Is yours a fire with a back boiler? If it's just a standard gas fire then personally i'd go to B&Q and buy a decent battery one and stick it near it. My fire hardly gets used (but i've still got one), and running a cable to it would be a pain in the rear.

If we're talking about a boiler on the other hand (Which we're not, i don't think) then i'd consider putting cable in for one.

Hi there,
I cannot find a manual anywhere :oops:
I don't have a back boiler it's an open fire place that's why I wondered about detecting fire.

Another thing I recently learnt about CO detectors: they have a limited life. The sensor gets "used up" or contaminated somehow (I'm not sure exactly) so when they're time is up, they need to be chucked. I seem to remember seeing a little CO alarm that said on the label that the battery shouldn't be changed. I guess that this was because the sensor lasted as long as the battery!

Maybe someone else can clarify this point...

EightyTwo is correct, the CO sensors do have a limited life, usually around 5 or 6 years.

Honeywell make a CO detector, the SF340J, that can be wired to an intruder alarm system and has replaceable sensor modules.

See here for an example.

The bad news is that a replacement sensor module costs about £30 which is more expensive than purchasing a battery powered CO alarm :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back