Smoke alarms - fire rated interconnecting cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice before running the cables for the smoke alarms in my self build.

Can I use standard 1.5mm 3 core and earth to interlink the smoke alarms, or should the cable be fire rated instead? There will be 5 units (3 optic, 1 ion, 1 heat) connected to an independent supply at the consumer box - RCBO or MCB?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Is it a "self" live?

FP in my book any time.

Reminded me, actually a site needs a visit.
No response from the owners, for a earlier and above board inspection.

You do your best connecting people and see what happens!

Still awaiting details for a "service"

Cannot be more helpful than this now.

Sponsored Links
Alarm";p="2337266 said:
Is it a "self" live?

I'm not sure what 'self' live means - I've got a 16 way consumer unit fitted entirely with RCBOs. I was just wondering whether the circuit reserved for the smoke alarms should be fitted with a standard MCB instead - I've read that the circuit containing the smoke alarms should be interlinked and not RCD protected, but as all of my circuits have individual RCDs I figured that it would be OK to keep the RCBO.

Fire rated cable seems to make more sense, although my electrician just mentioned that the cable should be a different colour from the other cables so it's easily identifiable, ie. white or red.

Self live = own abode.
Non RCD is advisable.

The colour is red as it is easily identifiable. White can be used but not correct IMHO. But sometimes needed.
Other cables are white, and cannot be easily identified from others. Your person is limited in his knowledge it seems.
The issue with fire cable is it can survive for a certain amount of time and run the sounders.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back