Smoke Detectors Certification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As well as the BS7671 certification for mains powered battery backup smoke and heat detectors, my local building control are requesting a BS5839 certificat for new installs.

I have never issued these, although I have a pad from the NICEIC. The sticking point is the entries required for sound level test, ( my understanding is the test from a bedroom, should be > 65dba) as I don't have a meter. What do others use, can you hire the?

Is this test actually applicable to an LD2, Class D system :Mains powered, interlinked, with battery backup smoke x 1 heat detector x 1)

I have searched the forums and there is no info on this, do any sparks actually issue them ?

Sponsored Links
Hi, never heard af an LD2 system, is this and L2 system for domestic?

But for all other systems L and P the audability at a bedhead is 75dba and in other areas 65dba and can as low as 60dba in open areas.

You can hire audability meters.

The "LD" classification is from BS 5839-6 and has been around since at least 1995 I think.

Can I assume that you have never installed/certificated a domestic smoke alarm installation then ?

Sponsored Links
I have never issued these, although I have a pad.

I admited as much.

I meant GRADE, not class :oops: D:

Grade Description and explanation
D A system of one or more mains-powered
smoke alarms, each with an integral standby
supply. The system may, in addition, incorporate
one or more mains-powered heat alarms, each
with an integral standby supply.
One or more batteries or capacitors is provided
to ensure protection

I am still wondering if many sparks are issuing these, as from what I can tell sound level meters are very expensive, and then require calibration etc. What I have done is put a "n/a" on the sound level entry box, and cross fingers to see if it gets by the LABC. Nobody at any of the three merchants I use (electrical wholesalers) has heard of them, anywhere that sells them of hires them, further evidence that most sparks don't use them !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back