smokey wood burning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, firstly i apologise if this in the wrong section, but not sure if haveing problems with our new stove, which was fitted on Thursday. I have followed burning procedures as stated by the shop and the instructions, and on reading them, it does state there will be smoke and odours during the burns.
This is the 4th burn now, with the addition of small amount of coal, and when up to temperature there still seems to be far too much smoke, and odd smells. Our chimney is never been used before, and is clear, (new build). This cant be normal, surely??
Any advice would be grately received. Manythanks...

Sponsored Links
i would get the installer back to check the chimney liner
did the installer not do a burn to check the installation ??

yes the whole chimney was inspected, it is 8" liners, down to the base of chimney stack, it was also brushed to checked for blockages.
A small burn was done at first start up and was told, all is good. i was also told that it can be normal for some smoke/odours to occur on new stove, but not being an expert, it could well be rubbish?
i notice that the smoke is concentrated to the top area of the stove, so im wondering if there any possibility of down draught?

the flames and smoke should be shooting up the chimney
and yes you will get oils and other coatings burning off
you may just need a roaring fire to burn it off rather than evaporate it off with a careful burn
is the smoke within the stove or hovering a few inches above the outside surface

Sponsored Links
To get a decent fire, you need a decent air supply.
Try opening a window to see if this enables the smoke to clear.
If this works, check with the installers where the fire is expected to get its air from, what provision did they build into your home.
Have you tried the fire when there is a strong wind blowing?
Perhaps there was an area of high pressure and no wind when you tried?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back