Woodburning Stove Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm considering having a DEFRA approved woodburning stove installed (as I live in a smoke control zone), it is going to replace an old anthracite stove that hasn't been used in donkeys years. The house is late Victorian and has open fireplaces in some of the other rooms. I recently had all the chimneys swept and the sweep has certified that the chimneys are all ok (I have reports saying they passed the BS 5871 integrity tests)

I've contacted a few HETAS registered engineers and am now a bit confused, 2 of them (with out viewing the property) say i have to have the chimney lined, a third wants to carry out an integrity test with a computerised system that will cost £250 and then say whether i need the chimney lining or not, one has said i don't need the chimney lining (again without inspecting the property) and finally, today, a Gas Safe registered fireplace installer who was recommenced by one of the fireplace shops as someone who has installed a lot of stoves, has also told me i don't need the chimney lining.

To say the least, I'm confused.

I understand that having the chimney lined will make the stove operate more efficiently (no one has been able to tell me how much more efficiently) But the 2 installers who insisted that the chimney be lined told me that effiency of modern stoves mean that there's more tar in the gases and that the extra heat generated by these stoves will cause condensation that binds the tar to the inside of the chimney increasing the risk of chimney fires.

What do you think about this? Are they just trying to extract more money from me?

It sounds a bit dubious to me, surely the modern, cleanburning, smoke control approved woodburning stoves should be producing less tar then old, coal fired stoves?

I also noticed that the Morso website (the makers of the stove i was thinking of buying) does not say it is essential to have the chimney lined and includes instructions on installing the stove into a brick chimney.

Any advice welcome

Sponsored Links
The best thing I have done was to get rid of my wood burning fire and replace it with a gas fire. more heat, cheaper to run, and no mess.

I am in almost an identical situation some people telling me i need the chiminey lining and some people telling me I don't.
I don't know what to do,Its going to cost a small fortune to have it lined!
Can anyone shed some light on are pedicument?

I had one fitted about 7 years ago, may chimney was not in the best of nick as there was signs of smoke stains on the upstairs walls in mine and the neighbours property.
So it was an easy decision for me to make regarding the liner, I had a stainless steel reinforced one fitted.
The stove is lovely and warm heats the whole house as the heat rises, always on in the winter months and the cold evenings.
Recently had it swept, this was first time since being installed.
Sweep says it was as clean as a whistle. No tar, no soot. spotless :)

Sponsored Links
I had a similar yes it does/no it doesn’t experience but as our flue was 40 years old & render lined, I decided it best to install a liner. It needn’t cost the earth, shop around & get some quotes from independent HETAS installers to fit it; Google HETAS to get a list of fitters in your area. My 8m x 125mm liner & all the fittings cost me just over £400 & the independent fitter charged me £440 for the day which included fitting the liner + 8 bags of insulation, fitting & commissioning a Stovax cassette stove (supplied by me) & providing the necessary HETAS certification. Worth the extra effort & expense to be safe rather than sorry. ;)

I am having a huge problem finding an installer in Norfolk. Please tell me the details of your installer. Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back