Open Fire v Stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am looking into fitting either an open fire or stove the lounge chimney breast. I have heard that if I install a stove, then I would have to install a separate flue within the chimney and this requires planning permission. Is this true?
Also, I have read on this site that stoves are 80% efficient as only 20% of the heat escapes up the chimney and that open fires are only 20% efficient (with 80% escaping). How does the stove retain the heat?
Many thanks :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I'm sure someone will answer this better than me but I've been doing research recently and will be having a multi-fuel stove fitted in the next month or so.

If you're having a stove fitted then yes you will need a flue liner fitted, this usually forms the bulk of the material cost and man hours.

You shouldn't need planning permission if you have it done through a HETAS installer, they should certify it for you.

You're right about the efficiency differences, stoves burn much hotter and the metal of the stove heats up considerably radiating into the room rather than it all going straight up the chimney. You also have control over the air flow with a stove so you can adjust the burn rate.

Can't wait to get mine fitted.

The best thing you can do is go for the wood burner/multi fuel stoves.
I fitted mine 3yr ago, save about £150 on our winter heating bills.
I would suggest fit a twin wall liner, prefably the 904/904 grade as it has 20yr gaurantee.
The liner from your local stoves store will be about £900, go on ebay and get the same product for about £300 delivered.
You will need the top plate and clamp, adapter to your rigid pipe, and register plate, or make your own.
I found a lot of suppliers unhelpful, regarding info, so found out myself, especially when it comes to cleaning the flue, so I will descibe what I done.
Tie pull cord on liner,via a cone, make sure its right way up, drop rope and liner down, with some one pulling gently on rope, do the connections to stove etc, fit plate and clamp to top of liner, I was advised not to backfill with vermiculite, as when you clean flue, it shakes of the tar/soot when sweeping.
I also found out that you can clean the flue via the stove, without dismantling anything, I have a 150mm liner, so get a 175mm brush, you can get small diameter rods that bend easy.
You do need to inform building control, who will visit, check and issue certificate, or use a Hetas registered installer who will sign it all of.

Sponsored Links
Go for a multi-fuel stove every time; not only are they far more efficient, they give you the option to burn high heat solid fuel. An open fire looks nice but they are very inefficient & will cover the room they are in black smuts. I ran an “original” 1960’s open fire in the property I bought in 2004 for 5 years until the modernisation I was doing fitted a multi fuel inset stove 4 years ago. I now burn around 1/3 of the fuel I used to with the open fire (both logs & solid fuel) for better heat output; you will need to go through a few small hoops but its well worth it. I’ve since been involved in quiet a few solid fuel installations so have a read of my standard response & come back if you have further questions.

--------------------------0000000000000000000000--------------------------------------

As this comes up so often, I’ve put together this generic post; read the links but not all may apply to you.

You can DIY but you need to understand the Building Regs (which changed in October 10), submit a Building Notice & pay a fee. Your LABC will inspect &, assuming everything is OK, issue you with a compliance certificate; the BI may want also to witness smoke & spillage tests.

Lots of archive threads on this, & other things you have to watch out for, here a few links for you to read:
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove_building_regulations.html
http://www.hetas.co.uk/public/certificates.html
http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/pdfs/buidling_regs_consumer leaflet.pdf
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=183614
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211524
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=242738
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=224751

Some more sobering links in case you think it’s all a load of old tosh:
http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/main_pages/news.htm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wood-burning-stove-leaks-carbon-monoxide.html
http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/warning_over_heaters_after_norfolk_couple_s_death_1_811099

By far the easiest/safest route is to use a registered HETAS installer who will do all the necessary work, commission the stove & provide you with a certificate of compliance. You can use one of the many stove shops around but you will find it much cheaper to employ an independent installer who is happy for you to source your own stove, liner & ancillaries & even undertake the necessary building work but do check with them first. You can download a list of local installers here;
http://www.hetas.co.uk/nearest_member

Get at least 3 quotes & you might be pleasantly surprised; you should ask yourself if you really want all the hassle & risk getting it wrong & climbing onto a roof with an 8M stainless steel snake on your back is not for the feint hearted!

Been trying for ages to get a woodburner installed. Gas stove has been ripped out and chimney swept.Can't seem to get anyone to drop down the flue liner - there are companies that want to do the whole job (liner,stove plus sorting out hearth and fireplace) for about £3000 with a 50% deposit upfront.I don't like the sound of that! Any ideas as to how to proceed? Do I need a roofer or who? Also not sure about the regulations. Do I need to go to the council for a compliance cert ? The companies that do the whole job are Heatas registered.Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks. :oops: Oh and there is no way I can get up onto a roof myself!

Woodburner; please don’t hijack someone else’s thread, it causes confusion; post your own thread.

Welcome to the DIYnot Forums!
6) Do not hi-jack posts. Hi-jacking is adding your query to somebody else's thread.
Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/rules.php#ixzz1ZYUTz8i1

If you read my post above you will see a link to the HETAS website where you will be able to find your local independent HETAS installers that do not work exclusively for stove shops. They will do as little or as much as you want but only within the regulations; phone them & they should be able to sort you out.

I genuinely had no idea that I was causing confusion. I feel extremely silly. I have deleted the offending posts and will not be bothering anyone again. Trying to get a wood burner installed is a total nightmare and I just wanted a bit of help.

I genuinely had no idea that I was causing confusion. I feel extremely silly. I have deleted the offending posts and will not be bothering anyone again. Trying to get a wood burner installed is a total nightmare and I just wanted a bit of help.
dont take it badly you are very welcome as richard c and others will will tell you
its often a mine feild where information needs to be surprisingly accurate so you have done your best and been helpful and generous with your help in a genuine effort thank you for that
we all learn from our mistakes i certainly do
please continue to contribute and do not be put off

I genuinely had no idea that I was causing confusion. I feel extremely silly. I have deleted the offending posts and will not be bothering anyone again.
Trying to get a wood burner installed is a total nightmare and I just wanted a bit of help.
The was no intention to make you feel silly, merely to point out that posting your questions on someone else’s thread breaks forum rules & often leads to confusion about who said what, to whom & why! The advice given will be specific to the Original Posters questions & although yours might seem very similar, giving advice to multiple posters in the same thread can lead to mistakes being made.

If you post your own thread, you will get detailed answers to your specific questions which will be easier for those that know to answer, of far more benefit to you & will avoid upsetting the OP by hijacking his thread.

As big-all said, don't take it badly & at least you now know the rules. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back