Snapped Outside Waste Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst inspecting an outside waste pipe I managed to snap off the end of the pipe. Now when the shower drains, water drips down the brickwork rather than being diverted to the drainpipe.

I have attached some pictures. Any idea how to fix this? I have attached some pictures.

Sponsored Links
Can you replace the entire length?
You could, rake out the mortar/masonry around the pipe enough to put a push-fit connector on.

If the pipe broke easily, it could have been damaged by the elements and be very brittle, if so really needs a new length, as it will only break again when trying to fix.

Yup, it's white PVC therefore isn't really UV stabilised, solvent weld is a bit more robust as the make-up of the plastic is different. That's why most external pipework is black or grey with the addition of stabilisers or solvent welded.

Compression shouldn't really be used externally. Replacing the pipe would be the best course of action as PBD suggests, if at all possible IMO.

Sponsored Links
Hi - thanks for the advice. Actually, replacing the entire pipe is a very 'last resort' option in this case. The pipe runs under the floorboards to the shower. Replacing the pipe would therefore require ripping out the shower.

If this really has to be done, then I will do it. What would be really good in this case (especially since we are removing the shower to have a bath fitted next year) would be to have a temporary fix that would last the 12 months and not require ripping up the bathroom in the interim.

Difficult one, given it's snapped flush with the wall. If it's just a shower and doesn't really carry solids then you're really resorting to a bodge to temp fix it.
Need to try and get an insert in there.

Get a piece of pipe the same diameter, cut it down one side of it's length with as wide a saw blade as possible, when you squeeze it 'back together' then it might be small enough to fit in there, cut to the top. That'll give you something to attach another piece of pipe to.

If still too big cut another small piece off the length of the cut until the pipe fits tightly, once that's in by about 4" then epoxy glue another piece over the top of the piece sticking out sealing it up, giving you a pipe to connect to.

Can you get to the pipe under the floor before it gets to the shower? Could join a new section on from there, it wont be so brittle inside, as the sun wont have got to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back