Snowboard rack in plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased a snowboard rack that takes 2 boards, using 4 screws. My boards weigh about 3 KG each. The wall I wish to attach them to is hollow, between the lounge and the bathroom.

However, I live in rented accommodation, so I wish to make minimal wall damage, such that, when I leave, I can fill the holes in and paint over.

For the record, I am allowed to make small alterations, as in hanging pictures etc. And, there are several small holes dotted around my flat from previous tenants.

The plugs that came with the product look like standard masonry ones.

I already have several wall plugs:

1. Plastic toggle fixing screws for medium weight use (B&Q). Little white things you pinch together then push through the hole. 8mm drill hole.

2. Metal anchors for heavy weight use (B&Q). 9mm drill hole.

The metal ones would seem to be more than sufficient, from a weight-bearing point of view, but, I am concerned that these have a large surface area cap-end (not sure what the technical term is), and obviously, these plugs remain fixed, so, should I move in the next few years, could be a problem to fill in/paint over.

Would the plastic ones suffice? Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I guess, the advantage of the plastic toggles is that I already have them, the advantage of the self-drilling ones is that they are removable.

Decisions, decisions...

Sponsored Links
Self drilling ones can still be pulled out. I'd go for the toggles myself as they will be more secure once tightened.

I wish to make minimal wall damage

In which case, find the studs and just drill a 3mm pilot hole and use number 8 screws with no plugs. (assuming the rack is two separate brackets, so you can set the spacing to match the studs)

In which case, find the studs and just drill a 3mm pilot hole and use number 8 screws with no plugs. (assuming the rack is two separate brackets, so you can set the spacing to match the studs)
Unfortunately, it is one bracket, with the screw holes 8 cm apart. I have located the stud, and it is not in the centre of the wall anyway.

These are snow boards not surf boards. As long as you are neat there won’t be a problem with any option. At the end of the rental unscrew/push in and use some patching plaster to cover the hole. Then just sand back with a cheap sanding sponge. available in poundland.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back