So confused about off peak water heating - SANTON PREMIER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved back into a flat that I lived in 5 years ago. The water heater is a Santon Premier which has two switches - an Economy switch which USED to come on between 11.30 and 6.30 and heat the water, but since I have moved back in, not any more. The "economy" switch now comes on at weird times during the day?? It does heat the water, but I have hot water in the day, and none in the morning now. Where is the timer for this? What controls the off peak "economy" switch coming on and off?

I'm female and I am not really that clued up about stuff, but I do know that this has changed since I last lived here, and something or someone must have changed it. I have spent the best part of tonight looking for a timer switch - of course, there isn't one - there never has been! So what controls turning this switch off and on? Don't have storage heaters - merely convector heaters.

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP - I do have pics if that helps.

Thank you in advance!!

Sponsored Links
You`ve probably got a BIG old timer next to your meter :idea: it`ll be clockwork and it`ll have slipped ........Giving you Cheap Rate Electric in the Day :mrgreen: How good is that ;)

There must be a timer somewhere, or things couldn't change depending on the time (although more recent installations use a radio signal, since yours isn't at the correct time you won't have one of those).

Look at the electricity meter and you should see two sets of dials, and some sort of indicator showing which set is active - may be two lights, or an arrow. There may also be a flashing light - that's showing you the rate of consumption.

If it isn't marked, work out which is the expensive and which the cheaper dials by relating the readings to the electricity bill. You can check the indicator(s) to see which rate you're on at any time. Hint: Do things like running washing machines, dishwashers, immersion heaters when you're on the "cheap" dials!

Next to the meter you should see a large box with a window, containing a disc marked with the 24 hours of the day, with a pointer showing what it thinks the time is now, and two "trips" set seven hours apart, that swap over which are the active dials on the meter and turn on the supply to the switch you mentioned, during the cheaper 7 hours.

In theory the clock should stay pretty accurate, running on electricity normally, with a spring backup to carry it across power cuts, but they can and do slip from time to time. Working out when it switches over can be a bit tricky when the clock's wrong, but looking at the indicators now and then should narrow it down, and if you're nearby you may hear a "clunk" when it changes.

Hope this helps...

Cheers, Howard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back