1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Soak away by a patio

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by LadyM, 23 Sep 2020.

1. LadyM

LadyM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Our garden slopes towards the house and water runoff pools in a space between a patio and low wall. The soil is very heavy clay and I want to dig it out and put in a soak away.

How close to the patio and wall foundations can I dig without compromising the structure of both. The area I'm digging out is pretty small and is about one and a half metres at it's widest and slightly less than a metre at it's narrowest.

2. Ian H

Ian H

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You should really be 5mtrs away from the house with a soakaway. Have you tested the ground to see if it does let water through?

3. Sponsored Links
  4. lonner

lonner

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As above, clay doesn't work as a soakaway, you just make a pond

5. Celeronmanuk

Celeronmanuk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We had a couple of feet thick layer of clay here when digging our soak away, kept digging and got to chalk which drained very well.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links