soak away

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a soak away taking rear roofs of property and extension. After talking with the Water board they have said i could run direct to the main sewer.
My question is, i could do this in two ways.
1) dig down and find the pipes then divert to a manhole approx 2 metres away.
2) easier option dig down the side of soak away, put new pipe in from there to main sewer leaving original pipes as they are.

Would option 2 release water from the soak away?

Sponsored Links
Go for option 1.

Find the pipe, fit a y junction and a trapped gulley, otherwise you will have smells coming back from a combined system.

What fit the trap gulley at the downpipe on side of house?
Why the y connection?
Another option i thought about was just dig a trench from soakaway to manhole fill with rubble creating a type of french drain, just extend soakaway to manhole.

With running the pipe from a soakaway to the manhole you will have all sorts of stuff going into the manhole and could cause a blockage, plus how do you stop the smell from the foul drains.
If theres a pipe you can connect onto, that already runs into the manhole, its just a case of cutting into it, connect a Y junction then run it to the trapped gulley.
If not the run a new pipe into the manhole, you still need the trapped gulley to prevent smell coming back from foul drains.

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes it was to run the pipe from the existing straight to manhole. Cut hole in side of manhole to poke the new pipe into. ( brick manhole).
So i guess i need to remove some patio, dig down and fit a trapped gully.Or put the gully near the manhole .

Gully goes at the bottom of your down pipe, then find the pipe that runs into your manhole branch into it with a y junction. Best not to break into manhole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back