Soakaway for lawn on clay

STC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a feeling that my project is a bad idea, but I wanted some advice...

I am re-turfing the back garden, and have dug over the old lawn and rotavated. During heavy rain our lawn (before I dug t up!) was quite squelchy, especially at the top end, though there were never puddles. The lawn is approx 8m x 8m.

I am considering using land drainage pipes running to a soakaway along the bottom of the garden, under and at the edge of the lawn. This area at the bottom is walked on less and there is a hedge running along the length of the bottom of the lawn that I hope will help remove the water.

My problem is that there is a clay subsoil. At the top of the garden I have about 40cm of decent topsoil before hitting clay, and at the bottom, where I want the soakaway, there is about 70cm of decent topsoil before I hit clay.

I do not plan on making a typical 1 m³ soakaway, but instead a shallower long soakaway , eg 40cm deep, 50cm wide, 4m long. So this will sit right on the clay, but have decent topsoil to the sides and above.

Waste of time, effort and money?

Sponsored Links
I'd dig a trial hole in the proposed position for the soakaway, and do a percolation test. If this doesnt work then scrap the idea!

would it help to trench and french-drain round the edges of the lawn? with a slight doming and no depressions, standing water would be discouraged and would tend to run off.

Consider a sump containing a pump with a float switch then pipe the stuff away.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input and suggestions.

The percolation test was not promising, however, this is what I ended up doing... since I had the stones already, and I don't mind a bit of hard work, I made a soakaway 3m long, 60 cm wide, 40 cm deep, about 35cm below the surface. I have not installed land drainage pipes at this time, since the soakaway may not work very well. I am going to finish the job of laying the new lawn, and if drainage is a problem, then I will put in drainage pipes... I decided that digging a channel and putting 2 or three pipes in after laying the lawn would not be the end of the world, but I didn't want to dig a soakaway after the turf was down, so I've given myself the option later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back