Soakaway Issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hope you can help, renovating an old 1900's cottage, long story but need to put in new septic tank, and rain water drain.

No mains drainage, so my plan was to put a soakaway for the rain water, and a separate one from mini sewage treatment plant. Problem is ground water is high and clay soil.

I dug a 1m deep test hole, then a 300mm cube at the bottom of it, do to a rain test, this filled with water on its own, so ground water is seen at around 900mm down.

What options do I have, engineer is saying i may need a soakaway bund...

IMG_0455.JPG

Sponsored Links
I do t know what o e is either but with the percolation test your doing you should dig 3 holes.

I do them, fill the 300x300 bit, let it soak away over night. Fill it the next day and time it between 75 and 25%. Although if they fail, I go home and never hear about it again.

Could you store the rainwater?

What does it have for foul at the minute?

Sponsored Links
I did 3 holes all with the same results, filled up themselves, I only have 2 sides of the garden that are lower than the house, so would need to used them for the flow.

At the moment, EVERYTHING goes to a septic tank, bad I know, but this is how it was when I bought the cottage. Building control want a new mini sewage treatment plant, and soak-away.

And where does the outlet of the current tank go to?

I heard you can drink the water that comes out of some of those treatment plants!!

It goes to a very saturated and blocked drainage field that I have no information or drawings for. Previous owner did not look after it, hence it all needs replacing now. At the moment I have to get the tank pumped fairly often. All a nightmare.

The treatment plants say you can discharge direct into a watercourse etc.. So quite cool, but at £6k hard on the bank

You could always sell the discharge as spring water ;)

Are there any watercourses nearby?

Hahaha Cavanagh's Angus Spring Water :)

Nothing around, just fields unfortunate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back