Rain and surface water problem at back of Garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought this 3-bedroom end of terrace house and decided to have a side and back extension done. This is how the back garden looked like before the extension.

Unfortunately since we had the work done we have had problems with rain surface water in the back garden and also under the concrete floor in our extended kitchen. This problem occurs when it rains. (see pics)

The area we live in is predominantly clay (see pics) but we have never had this problem before we extended and our neighbours do not get flooded like us (see pics).

I have dug two holes approximately 1 metre deep and every time it rains the holes fill up full of water and the water is not being absorbed at all and if so very slowly. (see pics).

We tried fitting a soakaway which did not solve the problem as the clay did not allow the water to soakaway properly and therefore the water had nowhere to go.

I guess tiling most of the garden has not helped the situation but we have fitted Drainage channels to the rear of the extension which direct all the water to the main sewer (this is allowed in our area).

A guy came around with a mini digger and duck out about 50cm of clay and laid some limestone. We are thinking of laying about 50cm of topsoil and lay a lawn. Will this be enough or should we dig the whole lot by one metre, fill it with top soil, fit a pump which will be directed to the main sewer and have more drainage channels around the perimeter of the intended lawn so that rain water does not flow from the tiles into the new lawn.

We have really run out of ideas and was wondering if anyone has experienced something similar. Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 363
  • 20180311_103246.jpg
    20180311_103246.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 358
Sponsored Links
Once your patio is finished you can direct it all into the sewer can't you?

Sponsored Links
Hi Ian

Just posted a picture of what it looks like now. So shall I use drainage channels to direct the water to the sewer? if so where would it be best to place them and would I also need a pump for the bit I intend to lay the lawn in?

Thanks

See new pic

Attachments

• 20170712_062722.jpg
    20170712_062722.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 291

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back