Soakaway near concrete raft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

About 4 years ago I had a detached garage built on a concrete raft. The rainwater from the roof runs into a soakaway that I built about 1.5m away from the raft. The Building Inspector says it is too close and that it should be at least 3m away but it is impractical to move it because it would then be too close to the house. I asked him if there was any way around the problem and he said that if I can find some authoritative evidence that a concrete raft designed to cantilever 1.5m and span 3m would not be adversely affected by a soakaway 1.5m away then he will issue the Completion Certificate. Is there anybody out there who can help me please?

Sponsored Links
You'll need to get structural engineers report to satisfy building control, shouldn't cost too much.

Getting an Engineer's report isn't the solution to all problems. In a case like this, I doubt many Engineers would be willing to report back positively without a published paper or recognised book to back them up.

I'd try researching the BRE digests for some guidance. I suspect however that if it's not already known by building control, it's unlikely to hold much to persuade them.

Without knowing the details, my opinion would be that there is a problem with a soakaway being so close - you may end up just paying for a report which tells you everything you don't want to hear.

Is there not any way you can relocate the drain away from both buildings?

It sounds fairly close to the house, probably not too tricky to tie into existing house drainage. A bit of digging involved.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back