Soakaway won't work - what alternatives do I have?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ello,

I've been trying to sort out the rainwater drainage at the back of our house. We don't have a surface water sewer, only foul.

I started to dig a soakaway pit, only to find four different colours of clay. At 1.2m deep it's still surrounded by clay and after yesterday's heavy rainfall this is what it now looks like:

Rn0HqaN.jpg

It's been like that for 24 hours. No absorption whatsoever.

Obviously, I could try and go deeper, but that's not guaranteed to solve the problem. It could be clay for 10 meters down. Who knows?

What alternatives do I have?

Sponsored Links
And if you filled in the hole to the top with a hosepipe what absorption rate do you get over 24hrs , nil or x litres

I don't know, but a mate said they had a massive soakaway in their garden - maybe this is why, sometimes it just needs to be really big.
Probably a good case for sending it into the main drainage though? My gutters go into the main drainage, I pay a bit extra but it helps keep the drains clean.

Sponsored Links
No, in his garden, my point being, maybe with clay you need a bigger soakaway?

No, in his garden, my point being, maybe with clay you need a bigger soakaway?
The point of my initial question is that presumably the house has been there for many years, so how is the existing rainwater being dealt with and why are you now constructing a soakaway?

If there was no soakaway when built, then perhaps there was a reason for that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back