Soakaways and rainwater drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We are finally about to start building work on a extension under permitted development. The builder asked me whether our rainwater drains into the public drains or if we have a soakaway. I told him I thought it went into the drains. Later that day I was speaking to my neighbour, who has lived in his house since it was built in the 50's, and he told me that he had a soakaway in his back garden which collects rainwater from his roof. He said that our property has a soakaway in the back garden too. He also said that the water then drains away down to the bottom of the garden. This would explain why that area is very wet in winter and periods of heavy rain.

As part of the build can I take the opportunity to drain water directly into the public drains rather than the soakaway? It would certainly solve the problem of my flooding garden. Or are there regulations preventing this change of flow?

Sponsored Links
You must drain into a soakaway unless it is impracticable to do so ie the existing ground conditions will not allow a soakaway to work or you do not have the space to build one (they need to be min 5m away from any buildings).

You cannot lawfully drain into the mains without permission from Building Control who will only grant it if you meet the criteria mentioned above.

Soakaways only last 10-20 years before they need re-doing btw, yours and your neighbour's have probably never been touched.

Sorry to jump on the post,I have a conservatory on the back of my new bungalow that i have moved into and the previous owners just put the rainwater from the main roof & conservatory roof into a water butt.
I would like to install a soakaway as there is no way for any pipework to enter a drain etc due to the layout of the garden etc.
My main concern is as long as the soakaway is 5 mtr`s from the house does any council people need to get involved etc.
As long as the pipework is a safe depth under the soil & it then enters the soakaway of which will be 1mtr cubed is that all ok,or MUST a building inspector etc get involved.

Please advise thanks.

No you don't need to inform Building Control unless its 6m from public highway I think but it must still comply with the Building Regs. Frankly just get on and build it. We assume you're in an area where soakaways work ie not clay?

• Thanks
Reactions: SNM
Sponsored Links
Not sure if it is clay until i dig.
Where the soakaway is going to be situated is about 10 mtr`s from the neighbours house.
Once the hole has been dug and no clay is evident can you fill the hole so much with gravel etc or do you need to buy the crates etc that i have been told about.
Do you have any info on what to fill in the hole or can you advise please.
Please advise what the building regs are.

[quote="freddymercurystwin"
You cannot lawfully drain into the mains without permission from Building Control who will only grant it if you meet the criteria mentioned above.
[/quote]
Building Control will not give permission it needs to be obtained from your local water authority and Building Control will want this confirmed.

ok
We will dig and use a soakaway NOT tap into the mains drainage.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back