Socket earth connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Need a lil pro advice on this one. I’m currently in the process of buying the house, had access to the house all weekend so have a good look around (its currently vacant). House was refurbished about 18 months ago and has been rewired although I would say its been done by someone who knows what they are doing but not necessarily qualified. It all looks fine and I've no concerns apart from how the earths are terminated on the ring sockets. The sockets have dual earth connections with an earth taken from each leg of the ring to each earth point, so that relies on the earth connection of the socket to complete the ring. Is this ok or should I move them to the same terminal?

Cheers guys
Dan

Sponsored Links
No it's ok. The earth bar in the socket is not going to affect the earthing at all. If a cable were to come out, you'll still be earthed (albeit a radial earth) via the second terminal. Whereas if you had the earth cables in the same terminal, the chances are you would lose both if the connection was loose. The worry that a cable can come out (live or earth) and you will, with no apparent symptoms, lose the ring on a 32A circuit is a justifiable one, but when your house was tested you will have a test certificate proving that there is a complete ring on all three cables on a ring final circuit. And when work is done, or it is time for a PIR, the ring integrity will be tested again.

Most circuits with PCs tend to be dual earthed as they require a secure earth for function as well as safety.

Cheers sparkyspike, glad I haven’t got to go round every socket and change it then lol! The house is a re-possession so any test certificates etc. are long gone I'm afraid but it all looks in good order so I’ve no concerns really.

Cheers
Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back